PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
It really is trial and error. I have some pipes that will take 2-3 LNF (Luxury Navy Flake) and others that will take close to 4. For Irish Flake and University flake some only take 1. Have fun with it and enjoy! I love Flakes!

May 4, 2015
Gosh - trial and error is my best advice.
Less is more with flakes, in my experience, though. They burn a long time, so you don't need "as much".
As far as folding and stuffing - good luck. I have never cracked the code. Rubbed out and packed for me always.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Awesome! Flakes are good. But they require trial and error, indeed. Some flakes are thin, others are thicker, or moisture levels are different etc.
When I started doing fold and stuff I had some hot, damp smokes that's for sure.
I'm no pro, but 2 things I found are: If you have to mash the flake in and it's a super tight fit, that's bad and you might as well take the baccy out and repack with less. And the second thing is if you think the flake has dried enough, give it another 20-30 minutes. YMMV of course lol.
Like I said, it seemed hopeless at first, but those first few smokes where I 'got' fold n stuff were outta this world.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Also try the cube cutting method, it's a pretty easy way to start with flakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpQ9EqPuB2Y

Fold and stuff might get you frustrated. Even rubbing out a flake is fine, I find you just get more flavor with a flake then pre cut, just like people say they get more flavor from a plug then the same plug that flakes are cut from.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I always ford and stuff. Less is more. I have one pipe that like just a single PS LNF, some will hold three, but I rarely load more than two, as they last so damn long!

If you have trouble lighting, (I never do, and I don't dry beforehand), just sprinkle a bit of dry ribbon cut on top.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I used to fold and stuff, but now I mostly rub it out and pack. Burns better *for me* that way but YMMV.

I cube cut when I have time, and rub out in a hurry. But, every blue moon, I will come back to fold and stuff.
My problem with fold and stuff is that I find that I have to fiddle with it during the smoke. Not all of it burns evenly, which is good in some respects, because the unburned parts get heated and contribute to flavor, but like a run down a cheap cigar, it drives me crazy. So, I end up pulling down the unburned flake parts, stir occasionally. And, if I am setting down and in conversation where I can't clench and have to stop and converse, a flake gives me something to do with my hands.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Fold and stuff is my preferred method of smoking. One flake I found to be particulary easy to fold, stuff, light, (and smoke) was SG Balkan Flake. It is moist, but smokes quite well that way. One flake that often gives me problems is FVF. I think FVF has quite a few variables that contribute to "getting it right". I love FVF, but I've had some annoying experiences with it as well.

Dec 28, 2015
Sometimes I fold and stuff sometimes I rub out. I hate cube cutting. Although sometimes I pull them apart into what resembles a cube cut I suppose. But these guys that speak of multiple flakes in a single bowl blow my mind. Sometimes I get a full flake in a bowl but usually it is less than a full flake. Maybe I have small pipes. I don't know. But basically as everyone has said its trial and error. Just do what feels right. And enjoy. Flakes are when its at.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Johnbarley, I agree about cube cutting. I tried it a few times but my ADHD turned into Tourettes and well, that's another censored story.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I cut a flake with scissors across the grain quickly and indiscriminately. Long and short pieces are then unceremoniously 'rubbed' until I like the texture. Sometimes it is very coarse, and sometimes finer, depending on mood, pipe, time and intended activities. I folded and stuffed once. Once. I had absolutely no control over the bowl and it got way too hot and crazy. Cut and Rub !!

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Bowl control is my main issue with fold and stuff method. Wet, dry, in between...it always burns lopsided and poor for me. It is worth my while to rub out and dry most everything. Crumble cake gets a pass for some reason though. I can barely break that stuff up and...mmmm; delicious bowls every time!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Nothing says PIPE tobacco like a flake or a coin of marinated leaf.

Fold and stuff can be frustrating and wasteful, but can also yield a unique and enjoyable experience.

We are keepers of the flame. Think about it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Flakes is a gateway... before you even know what's happening you'll be crying for plug and rope tobacco... you'll find yourself naked in the dark/dangerous part of town begging for a plug. Drug dealers don't know about tobacco and "plug" will then be misinterpreted. What I'm saying is be very careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.