PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Ok guys, as a newer tobacco guy I have been trying the heck out of everything. As i continue to do that and find blends i like, how do I go about starting a cellar? How do i store short term tobacco vs long term tobacco? How do i store it to age it? Containers? Cabinets? Temp? Give me the 101 on starting a cellar.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Buy the tobacco if in round tins it"shine if in square tins place in heavy duty Mylar bags or screw top mason jars. Bulk should be in mason jars for long term storage there are many threads on here on the subject. Shel

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
That article is essentially what you need to know. You'll hear varying things, but will find that Mason Jars are the general, accepted, affordable solution here that will keep your cellar stable for many many years. (many folks also just keep their sealed tins). My main advice on jars is don't go too large...once you open the jar the aging is stopped. So, rather than cramming 1 pound into a large jar, I tend to put that in several smaller jars, which I can open one at a time so the others keep aging.
Many tobaccos, for me, are kept in their original tins for storage until I open them, at which time they go into their jars. The exception to that is the Hearth & Home line....while their tobaccos are a great value, I don't trust their cardboard-like tins....these go directly into jars for me.
So long term: sealed tins, or mason jars.
Short term: mason jars unless you're smoking a tin in 1-2 weeks.
Where? Anywhere works. Fellas around here store their jars in rubbermaid tubs, closets, fancy cupboards, and everything in between. Whatever area is cool, dry, and stable. I have a dresser that was left behind by a previous owner, it sits in a cool corner of my basement. Works perfect. Before that, in my old house, they were stacked up on closet shelves.
What you'll find is that storing your cellar contents is simple and affordable. Buying those contents is the hardest part :puffy:

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
The Hearth and Home tins were a concern for me also so I put them into large acrylic latch jars and this is the one I use. http://www.walmart.com/ip/38431855?reviews_limit=5&
It hold 3 1.5oz, 2 Peritti 8 oz cans, or 1 1.5oz tin and 1 7oz can and it lets me see what I have. A little more pricey than mason jars (a fine choice) but I'm able to put them in large cardboard boxes and stack them neatly.
Now how this method will work out in the long term, I shall see.

Jul 15, 2011
However you decide to start a cellar, don't listen to Peck or Harris. Those two amateurs have no idea what they're doing. :mrgreen:
Also, Harris, I want dibs on smoking that flip flop if you're not going to get around to it anytime soon.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My only advice would be - don't buy a lot of something until you are sure you like it. Smoke a whole tin, in different pipes, and see if it works as well at the end as it does at the beginning.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jiujitsubowl, I began cellaring in July 2012, and finished in December 2013. I was able to grab quite a bit of aged stuff while I was cellaring which was cool so I have some aged stuff to smoke along with the fresher stuff. I have added a few new blends recently which I have been cellaring at a slower rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.