PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Every new year seems to start with the same routine for me..First I inventory my tobacco supply.Then I determine that I need more tobacco.Then I resolve to buy more tobacco.Then I check the budget with my chief financial officer(my wife)Then with a little bit of dollar shifting I find money to order more tobacco.I'm starting year number 43 of pipe smoking.So far I've never run out of tobacco.Though I have been a bit low at times.I can't count the times I've heard the phrase (You've still got tobacco) I guess Low is a matter of opinion..I hope everyone has a Healthy Happy New Year..Very much I hope everyone who needs a job gets one this year.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I hear you puffy, tried to explain to SWMBO that I needed to start a cellar this year. She doesn't get it!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
piperl12:
Just show her eBay. Of course, it very much depends on how desirable a particular blend is, but the prices for aged tins are all going up. Maybe a few dollars. Maybe much more. A tin of Penzance that I paid $9 for in 2005 just sold for $65 on eBay. All of the Esoterica blends are selling very much higher than retail -- and these are blends that are still in production! Never mind the Pease Syrians and the other discontinued blends.
But if "tobacco is an investment" doesn't sway her, I think it's reasonable to assume tobacco will never be any cheaper than it is right now. And because it's an agricultural product that ebbs and flows like any other agricultural product -- at the mercy of climate conditions, political upheavals, etc. -- there's no guarantee that the blends available today will still be available next year or five years from now. Having a cellar helps to ensure that some of the blends you love will still be available to you in the future. And, like wine, many of them are likely to improve (perhaps dramatically) if aged for 3-5 years.
This is my thinking, anyway. I don't have the biggest cellar here (by a long shot!), but I do have a solid collection that will see me through at least the next 15-20 years.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.