PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Gentlemen,
Recently my interest in codger blends has been rekindled and I've been researching them. It's been said on here that they are excellent starting tobaccos because of their simplicity in taste and ability to stay lit for various reasons (type of cut, number/types of tobaccos used, dryness in the can, etc.).
From reading extensively on here I've found references to the following:

Carter Hall, Granger, Half & Half, Mixture No. 79, Prince Albert, and Sir Walter Raleigh.
I'm wondering which of the codger blends you would point someone toward and why? Which are considered to be the best or at least the most liked? What are your opinions toward particular blends?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Carter Hall, Prince Albert and Half & Half are all excellent blends.

I can't speak to Sir Walter Raleigh, but I've heard it's very good as well. The original that is, I don't know about SRW Aromatic.

I've heard nothing but bad about Mixture 79.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/77048/corn-in-the-usa-ii-gift-set/#p-140355
Here's a good option, you can be on your way to trying them all.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
They are all classics. They are not compex, but they are very tasty and easy to smoke. They are great to practice with, as they are very forgiving. At the same time, they are fine for experienced smokers, too. Most of us have one we prefer. SWR absolutely ruled the American market for nearly 20 years, displacing PA in the 60s. All are burley forward and contain some very subtle flavorings (you taste tobacco, for the most part, but they have things like sugar, cocoa, anise, etc. added in very small portions). My personal favorite is Carter Hall, and I smoke it every day. Never gets boring or nasty. Also, if you are coming off cigs,you can inhale them in small amounts.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Doc is right about Carter Hall. It is great alone, or mixed. Used to be you could get Middleton's Walnut and mix it 50-50 (not my creation, but from another very knowledgeable pipe smoker who used to be on this forum). That, my friends, was a first-class mixture.
I smoked SWR original in my college days. So did my professors. It was all the rage amongst pipe smokers. But, I also smoked Yellow Sail, PA, Field and Stream, Barking Dog, Country Doctor, Revelation, as did my physics professor.
Now, as most know, many of those wonderful codgers are long gone. But, there are redos: C&D has a pretty good imitation of Revelation in its Epiphany and you can find a taste of yesteryear at Pipes and Cigars Match page. Here's the link: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/bulk-pipe-tobacco-samplers/?=&w=match
Not all the old ones are there, but enough to make things interesting.
Go for it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@tennsmoker. Surely you're not old enough to have had Mr. Albert E. as your physics professor, lol!

Of course, if he was, then that's cool as hell, and we need to hear some stories!

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I've tried a good few of these so-called OTC codger burley blends, and Carter Hall beats everything else hands down for me. With Kentucky Club and H&H getting honorable mention.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Personally I really like H&H and CH. PA is nice, too, and has a large following still yet. I don't think one can go wrong with any of these three. It's been a long time but I remember SWR having not much flavor/taste. The others I've not tried and can't speak to.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Of the blends mentioned, I've tried only SWR and PA. Of those two, I much prefer Prince Albert - Sir Walter Raleigh tastes and smells too much like cigarette tobacco for my tastes. I freely admit that this is purely subjective, though. As noted, there's not a huge amount of complexity to the flavor profile, which can be kind of refreshing after overindulging in some of the chewier Balkans... :D

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Only ones I've tried, and not recently, are Sir Walter Raleigh and Half & Half and I recall them both being perfectly enjoyable tobaccos. I want to try Prince Albert, will grab pouch next trip to the store.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Of the ones mentioned I have only tried SWR Aromatic, Carter Hall, and Walnut. I liked the SWR but have not gotten back to it since that pouch. Carter Hall was only ok, and Walnut I much enjoy. It is a light English, cross-ever English, whatever. However, as already mentioned, it is discontinued, but you may find it by calling around to several tobacconists. It was my favorite of the three

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Carter Hall and Prince Albert seem to please the most people. Half and Half and Granger please some, but are a little more edgy.

I just tried some Clan, a Danish made pouch tobacco, which incidentally has caught a lot of hell online as being perfectly awful.

I have a pouch that was sold in Holland. It claims to have 14 kinds of tobacco. It smells anise-like, licorice-like. But on a first bowl,

I found it a nice steady burner with a pleasant, low-key flavor. It's no MM 965, but it wasn't a negative experience to me.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Realizing early on that cost wise, the codger blends were relatively inexpensive, I read all the reviews I could on these vary same currently being discussed and started with a 14 oz. tub of SWR. I really enjoyed it.

Curiosity had me get a 14 of PA next, and at first I thought it not as enjoyable, but, after a few bowls I really enjoyed THAT too.

So, I'm rapidly draining both tubs and wondering about CH...I got some of that in a 14 oz tub. (so many cannot be that wrong)...and again...I find it delightful.

Each is easy to smoke, holding its light easily. Slow smoking releases subtle flavor complexity that is cool and contains sufficient vitamin N to satisfy that requirement.

I'm not half way through the CH...I finished the SWR and have another tub unopened. Right now...hard pressed?...My nod goes to PA. They're all worth getting.

Oct 12, 2014
Prince Albert..I smoke it by the tub :) Granger is a close 2nd in my opinion but that one seems like a love it or hate it blend as some people claim it tastes "plasticy" or "metallicy". I get neither of those flavors, but it has a taste all its own. Whatever the "Wellman's process" is I like it.
Nice nutty burley smokes..enjoy

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I like Carter Hall, but mixed 50/50 with 1Q. Another I haven't seen mentioned is 5 Brothers: lasts forever, burns completely, plain tobacco, and I often use a pinch on top of a bowl of something else to get a good char light, particularly if I'm smoking something that's a bit damp.
One blend I've discovered recently, that is listed as an 'American', ie Burley forward, with Virginia and Perique, is 4Noggins' Weybridge. It's plain and unvarnished, but you can tell it was expertly blended with premium tobaccos. Obviously, only from 4Noggins. $23 for 8oz, $13 for 4oz.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I've smoked most of the American Over the Counter blends and found most lack sufficient strength for me. I had the best luck with Prince Albert and Sir Walter.
My father smoked Carter Hall incessantly throughout my childhood. He bought it by the tub. It is a fine smoke.
Smoke through them all, every piper should, it is like learning the alphabet. When you are ready to branch out, try a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced. Then the real TAD begins.
Edit - I have never smoked Mixture 79.
Edit #2 - I would also recommend you try Iwan Reis Three Star Blue. It doesn't get mentioned much.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
Mixture 79, for me, is vile. I smoked two bowls and gave the rest away.
I actually love Prince Albert and just bought a pound. It is a comfort smoke for me -- not challenging, but flavorful enough. Carter Hall is OK -- as is Half and Half.
Oh, and there's Iwan Reis getting mentioned again.

Status
Not open for further replies.