PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
So yesterday I started to use softie bits and I think they will change my life. Typically I am not a clencher. I normally hold my (bent) pipe in my hand or do the "hunting dog" grip lighting holding it in my mouth. Yesterday I smoked my hardest to smoke, straight pipe and it went wonderfully.
No more worrying about teeth marks. No more hard stems to bite on. I might even buy another straight pipe at the show in Vegas!

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I use them too. But i cut off the thick part and that way it is easyer to grip and smoke your pipe

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, I have them on all of my pipes but I also trim off the lip on them. Just feels more natural that way and almost if I'm not using one. (OK... the last sentence sounds like I'm talking about something else! :wink: )

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good for your teeth. I use them on a cob with the original stem. They make that soft plastic last a lot longer.

Some Forums members make them out of the appropriate flexible tubing, just slicing off the needed length.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Yep I use them also, they last a fair while and eventually fall apart, feels weird without for me.

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Use them on all my pipes. I put them on "backwards" with the lip towards the bowl, and then I don't cover the stem's button at all with the softie. Makes for a very natural clench.
Now I just wish pipemakers would all use non-oxidizing stems, since I don't need any softness in the stem material when using a softie bit.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I have bad teeth, and use then on every pipe I smoke. Just feels natural now.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I used them on all my pipes too. Sometimes backwards, sometimes with the lip cut off. However it works with the stem in question.
I have also heard of surgical tubing used so you can have a little more length and NO lip to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.