PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I usually try to start new thread when i feel like it is something that was not discussed well in the past after searching or if I think my situation is very specific and I want an answer to my situation only. I realize that neither of these things is likely but it is something to aspire to.
When do you revive an old thread or start new one?
What is the best way to search the archives here? I feel like I don't do it that well.
Andrew

May 31, 2012
I'm a necrophiliac in many cases myself.

:mrgreen:
As for searching, there's this:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-custom-search-engine
...or you can do a google search that looks like this:

knife lid site:pipesmagazine.com/forums
You can also pinpoint things you're looking for here by doing a specific google images search.
:puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Old threads have had their chance. Some flame out while others lead brilliant, long and happy lives. However, to violate their burial... well this is how you end up with threads that seek out newer threads and consume their brains. Thread zombies are a very real and ever present danger. Would you rather have a child of your own or the corpse of an old and distant relative?
And as for Sir Lowercase and his apparent occlusional foray into the world of necrophellia, ummm....I think you're in the wrong forum man... but hey, more power to you! ;)

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Sometimes I like it a lot because there are old members that had really good and useful things to say about a subject but are no longer with us to say them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a thread is a sort of conversation, so to pick up a thread after eight or twelve months is often

to leave behind the original poster, who may have taken a vacation or not being active in Forums anymore.

Also, there is a stale aspect, whereby if you can locate the old thread and see how that went, perhaps you

can re-ask the question or restate the issue so it is freshened and relates better to the present. Some of

the standard issues get pretty well beat to death. Best to try to do something fresh or better connected to

the present. A revival every six months is mildly interesting, but to encounter two or three year-old threads

in a week makes Forums seem like "Groundhog Day," the movie where the same day repeats itself endlessly.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I really encourage the use of the search. Way too many questions get asked and answered way too many times here. A quick search, some reading and the answer will be located. The latest "tongue bite" thread is a good example. And, really no one needs to post about those "bad old Peterson pipes," it's been done ad infinitum. A bit of a search will also answer that age old question: "Is a hamburger a sandwich?" An other well answered question is whether or not the "Falcon" is worth the price. And so on and so forth.
Doing a bit of searching will leave more room for the Hajas to post those questions which require deep and considered thought. We should encourage that!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If your comments fit the topic of an old post and its not terribly old (8-12 months), but maybe 2-6 months old; then I see no problem reviving the thread. There could be some great information in it that a new member may not come across if not for that thread. Sometimes I think people start new threads just to start new threads. I see similar posts in the same week when the two or three threads all could have been in one. Some people just like to start new threads. If your topic or comments don't fit an old thread then its always good to start a new one.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Doing a bit of searching will leave more room for the Hajas to post those questions which require deep and considered thought. We should encourage that!
EXACTLY what I was thinking. Speaking of the literate sublime, where is Starcat???

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
MLC has provided such unique and informative posts that I have no objection to seeing those bumped, ever. I wish that the powers that be would group many of them into a special archive as he has provided significant scholarship to this forum. Any objection to those posts being kept available could only be ascribed to the drooling ravings of the knuckle dragging product of generations of incestuous relations between supposed humans and their family pets.
However, a lot of threads are either limited, topical, not particularly informative nor unique, and bumping those threads provides little benefit. Threads which have content or insight that is "evergreen" should be given the occasional bump or reference when newer members could benefit or when they relate directly to a current thread.
When someone new asks the perennial favorite, "How Do I Clean A Pipe?" without having bothered to perform a basic search I'm happy to give him links to the 50 previous threads that, surprise!, have addressed this very topic.
The problem with searching topics on this site is that most of the threads have not had tag words embedded when they were created, so the onsite search engine doesn't find them. Using Google search with pipesmagazine and the topic linked in the search window will work to locate those threads that don't turn up with the onsite search.
I hadn't known that that bumping threads was considered a breach of netiquette. Silly rule. Ignore it.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
New threads are the reason why the forum exists. The recent "bite" post is nothing new. There have been many posts about bite. But, if we were all sitting around at the local B&M or elsewhere and someone relatively new wanted to ask about bite, we'd offer our opinions, views, and suggestions. We would not tell them that we talked about this six months ago -- we'd chat for a while. And, if one had nothing to offer, or did not feel like participating, they'd be quiet and puff away and let others do the talking.
Most of you are parents, and you probably figured out a long time ago that when a child asks "why?" they don't necessarily want an explanation. Often what they want is more conversation. That's not necessarily limited to children: folks are sometimes looking for conversation and a way to join in and are not interested in doing a research project. No harm, that.

May 31, 2012
And as for Sir Lowercase and his apparent occlusional foray into the world of necrophellia, ummm....I think you're in the wrong forum man... but hey, more power to you
oops!

I was confused and thought I was posting in the other forum I frequent,

now I guess the secrets out...

:
:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEpQZeispQY

:

:

seriously, I was gonna do a more funny throwback, but a cursory search landed me on some very spooky alt.group sites and briefly reading stuff like "why I have accepted myself as a necrophile" in combo with horrid images, my stomach was turned and I soured on the whole idea of a good gag,

yikes,

is peoples crazy or is they crazy?

8O
Sable,

many thanks for the kind words.

:oops:

blushing

...it means a lot coming from you sir!

:!:

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I see both sides of the argument. If you stop and think about it, there's very, very little that hasn't been discussed in depth on this forum already, so there would be very, very little "new" conversation if everyone just search through the archives in stead of starting a thread. However, a member that frequents this forum would grow tired of repetitive topics every two weeks or so. Sometimes a thread can get buried in a matter of days, especially if it's the weekend and there are a lot of folks that want to talk about what's going on. Any forum needs the repetitive posts to have a healthy membership, but there does need to be a balance. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.