PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I regularly frequent a Starbucks, about two hours a day or more. I usually spend an hour before work, an hour on my lunch break, and sometimes after I get out of work and on my days off. I enjoy their coffee, and I like many others, enjoy a smoke with my coffee. The other day one of the Baristas, a fellow smoker, informed me that as of June 1st, you have to be 25 feet off the property if you are going to smoke. Meaning, if you're gonna smoke, you basically have to stand out in the middle of the parking lot somewhere. This is terrible news to me, as I really enjoy smoking either my pipe or a cigarette as I'm sitting outside. Now I'm no longer going to be able to do that. I know it sounds like I'm belly aching but... well yeah, I'm belly aching. I guess it's just another attack on smokers. Personally I don't see how second hand smoke is that big of a problem out doors. I can understand not smoking indoors, but outdoors in my opinion is a joke. People are breathing in automobile exhaust and who knows what else, and their worried about my tobacco? I'm not sure I want to frequent Starbucks any longer, now that I know as long as I'm sitting there, I'm going to be fidgety and wanting a smoke that I can't have.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Hmm, yea I'm with ya. I was supposed to meet baron at Starbucks Monday for a smoke too, guess we better check on this one

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If that is going to happen at all the Starbucks across the country then they are going to lose some serious business. Every Starbucks I have been to usually has a group of people hanging out and smoking. I personally will never go there again if this is how they are going to treat smokers.

Jan 8, 2013
yeah might be a good idea Chris. She was saying it was going to be all Starbucks. To bad, I would have enjoyed a smoke with someone someday while enjoying my coffee. I'm in the DFW area myself. You and the Baron have a good time where ever you end up... which likely won't be starbucks.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
One of these days I'm just going to pack up and move to Austria; smokiest country in the world:

1. Austria

> Pct. adults that smoke: 47.0%

> Pct. men that smoke: 48.0% (15th highest)

> Pct. women that smoke: 47.0% (the highest)

> Per capita cigarette consumption: 1,650 cigarettes (15th highest)

> Cigarette prices per pack: $6.20 (14th highest)
New Guinea, Chile, and Russia are all high on the list with about 40% or more of the population being smokers. Austria is just bound to be prettier and have better skiing.

Jan 8, 2013
I think it's pretty crummy of them. Going into the hot summer months here in Texas the only people stupid enough to sit outside and bake are people like me that like to smoke with their coffee. I think they're going to lose quite a few customers over this.

papa

Lurker
Apr 24, 2013
Dallas Tx.
Just read today, Starbucks employees are filing Federal lawsuit, because they are required to split tips with managers and supervisors. Piss off the employees, and customers.

Jan 8, 2013
I actually had not heard about the lawsuit papa. And I'm friends with a couple of the employees where I frequent. That's too bad. Starbucks employees really don't make a lot of money, those tips should go to them.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Starbucks is so overpriced anyway, I support the local coffee shops when I go out.

captainpeg

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
I will now stop using any Starbucks products, and will not under any circumstances stop at one. If they don't want me there then I will oblige them....

Randy

PS - I use their coffee regularly. Sorry, USED to use their coffee regularly. Just about had it with rediculous edicts from the New World Order.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Definitely a BS situation.

On a lighter note, here's to Dunkin' Donuts I guess!

And Starbucks had moved up a notch in my book with the open carry deal too... Oh well.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Besides, those idiots unleashed the Keurig K Cup System on the world and each of those damn cups take 600 years to disintegrate in a land fill.

Completely agree.
And whatever happened to the days of using your normal coffee maker, or those simple one cup makers that work just fine. (I'm saying this in response to Keurigs, not going out for coffee)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Besides, those idiots unleashed the Keurig K Cup System on the world and each of those damn cups take 600 years to disintegrate in a land fill
+1
I know a lot of people like it,and no offense if you do, but Keurig is the worst abomination to happen to coffee. It's watery, has no flavor or body - cannot believe how popular it is.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I personally think starbucks is overpriced, so I don't frequent it in the least... nor do I particularly care for coffee anyway. Also the state law already bans smoking in most places. I'm not certain but I believe there is also already a smoking ban of 20-30' of an entrance.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
It's watery, has no flavor or body - cannot believe how popular it is.

Yep.
None of the coffees I purchase even have options of k cups. I stick with a coffee merchant in town that sells coffee beans by weight, from all over the world, many of which are fair trade or direct trade. If not that, I often buy Kicking Horse coffee, excellent coffee and also fair trade.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
And I don't mean to sound like a coffee snob, I enjoy a cup of Nabob like anyone else.

blade

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
I'm a Keurig user. However, I use the reusable cups. I grind my beans and put them in the cup.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Smoking is prohibited within a presumptively reasonable minimum distance of twenty-five feet from entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes that serve an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited so as to ensure that tobacco smoke does not enter the area through entrances, exits, open windows, or other means. ...

WA St Law RCW 70.160.075

It won't make any difference here. Here in Washington State this is already law for every business, not just a single store's policy.
Enjoy what you have while you have it.

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
Has anyone here ever tried roasting their own beans? I've never liked Starbucks and the absolute worst crud that they sell as coffee is Tim Horton's. That company has everyone so brainwashed up here that it's not even funny. The only place that I can get a good cup of coffee in the Ottawa area is Bridgehead. Great coffee, in fact. Besides that, I can only drink my own home roasted coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.