PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hi guys, since Smokingpipes has their sale on C&D I thought I'd try Star of the East but I'm not sure if I want an ounce or to get more. I really enjoy Lancer Slices and Penzance and was wondering if it would have a similar taste profile to those.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've never had Lancer Slices so I can't say there, but I wouldn't compare it to Penzance either. When trying a new tobacco I usually buy 2 oz. That way if I like it I have a little bit on hand, and if I don't then I didn't spend that much money on it. As for Star of the East I think its a great tobacco.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Itstone:
There was a time when SOTE and Balkan Sasieni were heralded as PZ knock-offs. They aren't, of course. But both are very good Lat forward smokes and are tobaccos I enjoy on a daily to every other day basis. You might also want to try an oz. or so of Pipes and Cigars delicious 10 to Midnight. It's a swell cake which smokes like a dream at a very affordable price.
Just don't pine away for the unavailable, Stone. We're blessed - here in the States - to have so many great English tobaccos available to us at incredibly reasonable prices compared to what our English speaking cousins pay.
Fnord

Mar 1, 2014
Smokingpipes.com has C&D blends on sale at least a couple of times a year. Buy what you're comfortable with now and save up for more later.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Ok, thanks guys, I think I'll go with a couple of ounces and go from there.

Star of the East is a muskier spicy sour flavor profile. It's definitely different from any other latakia forward blend than I've tried, but very good. I don't set back many latakia blends, but SOTE is one that I have pounds of. In a way maybe, I think that if Penzance appeals to you, SOTE would also. But, no, they are not exact. Lancers sliced is another that is in a class by itself, at least with my limited latakia palate. Lancers is chewy smoke, leathery flavors. I really enjoy putting a couple of slices in with a pure Virginia every now and then for an unusual smoke, but I also smoke it by itself, when the desire arises.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
SotE isn't like either LS or Pen. It does stand on it's own two feet. I wasn't a huge fan initially, it was pretty rough around the edges and came off brash. A year in the jar did mellow out and make it much more enjoyable. Just my take.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Get at least a 1/2 lb of anything from C&D. It's all good, and the price is right. You cannot go wrong.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I seem to tend towards aromatics and latakia blends. I have some good american/cigar blends that I enjoy immensely but I like the "perfumey" flavour I get from Penzance and Lancer slices I find that its a nice change. I have a couple of lighter english tobaccos coming as well.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I found that Star of the East was very similar to GlPease Charing Cross. A very hearty and earthy english. I adore both, and have a small cellar of each.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Love Star of the East and As FNord suggested 10-Midnight. Both are great and in the same line of thought. In fact I think it may have been FNord that turned me on to both of those.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
SOTE is a great blend, personally I always get 4 ounce increments of pretty much everything even if it's something new to me. SOTE also mixes great 50/50 with habana daydream.

Mar 1, 2014
Cosmic:

Star of the East is a muskier spicy sour flavor profile.
That's probably why I like it so much. Smoking pure Latakia is mostly a "smell" experience. I think some pungent Orientals are really the best thing to complement Latakia.

G.L. Pease Cairo is probably a good example of the "other half" of a good Latakia blend, that and Presbyterian. My first ever experiment with Latakia was mixing it half and half with Cairo. 50/50 is too much, but at 25% Latakia it tasted almost exactly like Gaslight.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Personally I would buy a pound of SOTE (And did yesterday). It is very good I smoke it everyday and the price is great. One of my favorites, Chasingmembers turned me on to it.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Smoking some SOTE now. It's been about six months since I last smoked it and it may have mellowed a little. I think that it would benefit with a bit of time on it, for my tastes Ten to Midnight is a mellower, creamier smoke, both very good but I prefer TTM. As for Lancer's Slices I'll have to revisit it next.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
STOE is a very fine tobacco and one of my favorites. I don't think it compares at all to any of the Esoterica tobaccos I have in my cellar.

To my palette, these are my recorded notes. Rich, spicy, lots of depth with rich flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.