PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I posted this in the "show your Stanwell" thread but I thought I'd start another thread in case anyone is interested. I recently received this piece from Germany and I am quite honored to add it to my Stanwell collection.
18515656-orig.jpg

18515657-orig.jpg

18515658-orig.jpg

Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The folks at the Eltang shop were kind enough to reply to my email, copied text below.
Thank you for your e-mail , that is a very nice pipe you have bought , and yes it is Tom that has made the pipe ,

it is was at the periode were Tom was doing the promotion for Stanwell in Germany . It is many years ago so the pipe is around 33 or more years old . So you a very lucky it looks like it is in mint condition .

Good luck with the pipe and we hope the answers your question.

if not feel free to write again.

Happy New year.

Tom & Pia.
Very cool!

I could be totally off base, but the way most pipe company collaborations work is that the artist designs the pipe and then the company makes and markets the pipe. If Tom had of made this by hand, then what was Stanwell's part in this?

I have several pipes designed by artists but made and marketed by a company, such as my three Barbi/Hilson pipes.
But, all in all, it is a step aside from what I normally associate with an Eltang shape, which makes it even more interesting, IMO... whether he designed it or made it himself.
Great pipe! May she squeeze every drop of flavor from the tobacco for you.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you Cosmic, I think Tom was employed by Stanwell for a couple of years and these were part of a special promotional tour in Germany where he would finish the pipes via a mobile workshop, as per the customer's request, at the pipe shop he was visiting. I guess kind of like a book signing, but for the pipe smoker.
Looking at a Stanwell shape chart, it looks like shape 08 was designed by Sixten Ivarrson.
Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
As do I Cosmic, I am always looking for odd shapes or interesting makers, something out of the ordinary. This sure is a fun part of our lives, this pipe smoking!
Don

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those little bowl-shapped pots by Stanwell in many series including the brushed brown and black I believe were designed by Sixten Iverrson, Masterworks for the masses thanks to industrial design. Still being made of course.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you.

I tend to over research things and I also tend to spend WAY too much time on Ebay, sometimes it pays off.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.