PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1fatbbqr

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
So, while surfing all those fun pipe sites, I think I found my next pipe. It is a Stanwell Silke Brun straight billiard. I've never seen a Stanwell before in real life, so I was wondering what people thought of them. Are they fairly good smokers? Are they fairly good quality?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've admired those Silke Brun finish Stanwells. They run a little less in price than smooth finish

pipes, but I think I like them better in several shapes. The grain is more nuanced and the pipe

seems better integrated with the stem. There was some discussion about Stanwell when it moved

its manufacturing from Denmark to Italy, but mostly I've heard positive feedback and downright

rave notices for Stanwells old and new. I don't own one, but they get the popular vote.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
My favourite pipe for the last two years has been a Stanwell Lillehammer GL with smooth finish. It is an excellent smoke, and the best pipe I have.
Stanwell likely has quality based on price like other manufacturers, though they are a well-reputed company in Scandinavia (where I am from) and I would not hesitate to add another Stanwell to my collection even if I had to order it by web (as opposed to purchasing at the store, which is my preferred method). In fact, I was planning to do that very thing until I was smitten with meerschaum addiction - though I might still attempt to get a second Stanwell for my pipe warderobe this summer.
Good luck!
Edit: Did a web search for the pipe (sorry for not doing it for the initial response, am on vacation and have poor web connection). Based on the images I found and price point, I am confident you will be adding an excellent specimen to your collection, and I in fact envy you your purchase! The pipes looked smashing and price places them in the high quality range of Stanwell pipes.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Stanwell are wonderful pipes to add to your collection. I have a few Stanwell Baroks, Zebrano and Golden Danish, and they all smoke wonderful and for the price and quality you can't beat it. Get a Stanwell, you'll love it!!

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
The Silke Brun pipe is a polished dark walnut finished pipe. They are actually the old Stanwell Majestic that was re-named when the move from Denmark to Italy took place.
A great pipe for the money.
Rich

4noggins.com

Status
Not open for further replies.