PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Just bought a pipe at a market in Germany for $5, but it has a bad stem. There's a small chunk out of it at the end of the mouth piece, at the top. Otherwise, the briar looks good. It's rusticated with a nice grain.
I don't know how to identify this pipe. It says "22" and then Stanwell with a slight variation in the name stanwell (larger "ST" and "LL" with the "anw" in slightly smaller text).

Beneath Stanwell, it says "Regd No 969-48" Hand Made In Denmark.
To me it looks like a Dublin shape.
Anyone know more about this type of pipe and how hard it is to get a replacement stem? Pretty cheap find, and while there's a pile of cake to ream out, it seems serviceable. The stem doesn't have any markings or a logo on it, but it fits perfectly.
Any ideas are appreciated. Or even if someone has a contact with Stanwell so I could see if they might have a replacement stem to buy? The stanwellpipeDOTcom site doesn't look legit to me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I bought one in 1979 at my local Tinderbox, and it's given me nothing but great service. Your pipe is well worth taking care of.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Pipe is well worth getting a new stem for. When done, I think you will find it an excellent smoker.

May 31, 2012
NIIIICE!
That's a great old shape,

I love the old Stannies!
$_35.JPG

I'd say it's definitely worth getting a new stem made for it,

if you are in Germany I'm sure you can find someone to do it for you,

or send it out to the DPS, I know they'd do it up right!

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/group.asp?group=248#.U4tymSgzSrQ
Congrats on the great find!

:puffy:

stanwell.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Thanks for the information and tips. I'm going to try and find a replacement stem without sending the pipe in to be fitted, if possible. Just too much uncertainty with moving around for the next half year. Perhaps the stems are close to a standard fit?
I took some pictures. I'll need to give it a good reaming and clean it. Cleaning a rusticated pipe seems like a job, but maybe it won't be so bad. It was $5, so it seemed like a good deal at the time.
Would you guys pay that much for this pipe? I didn't take pictures of the stem because it is horrible. Heaps of gross looking oxidization and a big chomp mark out of the mouth piece. Even if it did polish up, it'd still be trashed.
img_9302-450x600.jpg

img_9301-450x600.jpg

img_9303-450x600.jpg

img_9304-450x600.jpg

May 31, 2012
Damn!
That's a mighty fine blast!

From the glory days back when Stanwell blasted deep.
Don't throw out the mouthpiece, polish it up!

How bad is the bite mark?

If it ain't all the way through or totally demolished it'll work fine,

you won't find an off-the-shelf replacement stem for that kind of shape,

a really good stem fitment adds to its flowing grace...
...I have an old Royal Danish (Stanwell 2nd) 63M and the stem end is very tattered and chewed up and the button profile is worn almost smooth, but I smoke that pipe alot, it never fails to deliver, and it's actually very comfortable, and anyway I've imprinted my own teeth marks innit by now because I smoke it so much!
You found a true beauty there,

love that blast!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.