PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazman

Lurker
Jan 31, 2013
Hey Gents, I've recently purchased a new Stanwell 139 golden Danish and really like it however it seems to burn a little hot and I wish the stem was a little longer. Anyway I'm new to this forum and kinda new to pipe to smoking and wanted to share my experience.

tazman

Lurker
Jan 31, 2013
Yes I am a former cigarette smoker and I never thought about that . Good tip I just realized im smoking like a freight train. And yes I was smoking an aromatic .I will definitely save this pipe for my English blends such as Dunhill nightcap. I love it ! Again thanks.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome tazman. Stanwells are excellent pipes and sam gives some excellent advice.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Over the years I've added a number of Stanwells to my humble collection of pipes. They are terrific smokers. A bent billiard like a 139 shouldn't generally smoke hot. In my own experience, most pipes smoke hot if I'm puffing too fast or maybe packing the pipe too loosely. I haven't found the type of tobacco to make much difference. I regularly enjoy aromatics and most of the ones I like don't seem to smoke hot either.

Enjoy your Stanwell - that Golden Danish is a great pipe.

tazman

Lurker
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for all the great feedback. The more I hold and smoke this Stanwell the more I like it. The quality is very good I feel for the money also.maybe I'll try a Brebbie? Pipe next. I also need to get a good cob pipe my last one broke. Good to keep in your truck for a quick smoke on the way to or from work.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Welcome to the journey of pipe smoking, it took me about a year to get down packing, tobacco being the right moisture, how fast or slow to puff, keeping a bowl lit the whole time, etc..... You learn by practice, pipe smoking is definitely an artform imho. Any pipe will get hot if you go to fast, stanwells are great, I have 2 stanwell seconds "Danish Sovereign" and one #88 Stanwell, they're great pipes. Just keep certain blends to certain pipes, that's another thing I learned after trying some blends and loving them, then revisiting them after I'd smoked something else in the pipe and not enjoying it, or not enjoying the blend until I found the right pipe. Also moisture plays a huge role, if it's too moist you get this really nasty bite from the tobacco, I'd written off a few blends to come back to them and love them again now that I have the moisture thing down.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have a stanwell feather weight that I love. I mostly use it for flakes. I think flakes burn cooler? I like mac baren vanilla flake it that pipe. yet the same blend in loose cut not so much?
Any ways, about all I can add to the other guys advice would be try drying your tobacco for different lengths of time. To get an idea of what burns best and tastes best. Some of my best smokes are when I pack a bowl the day before I smoke it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Andrew walks in truth and light. (However, that's quite the avatar, Andrew. Here we have have Uncle Joe the pipe smoking Avuncular as opposed to Uncle Joe the pipe smoking Jew hating - Kulak hating - Collective loving murdering sonuvabitch that he was in real life.)
This pipe thing takes awhile. Taz. What works for somebody else might not necessarily work for you. But, if you stay with it long enough, you'll start having these "Ahaa!" moments on such a regular basis they become expected rather than anticipated.
The journey is really the reward, my friend.
Fnord

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Ha ha comrade, after long day working in Gulag, nothing beats Dunhill Nightcap. In soviet Russia, Pipe smokes you!!

tazman

Lurker
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for the fantastic tips gents. Everything I'm hearing is exactly what I'm going through I thought it was just me and that's how is was. I will definitely take all this advice and apply to my daily smoking. Great forum. I feel like I'm among friends. Again thank you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard. You've gotten some great advice in this thread. Only thing I would add is, if you are gonna smoke aromatics, smoke good quality ones. Drugstore aros tend to be goopy, often can't be dried enough, and will thus smoke hot. Stick with premium aros, and you will have a better experience.

Stanwells are very good quality machine made pipes. Lots of guys swear by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.