PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forestman

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
Hey gents, I was given this pipe recently and it cleaned up very nicely. It is marked "Made in Denmark" but has no maker stamp. It appears identical to some Stanwell second lines (ie.;Royal Danish) Volcano. Any opinions on that?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Weird. No other markings at all? What about on the stem? It sure looks like the Stanwell 70 (or Royal Danish 970). It's very nice in any case. I think it's one of the coolest factory pipes ever made.

May 31, 2012
I have a similar mystery pipe, it's nearly identical to a Stanwell 63M, but not quite. Look at the stamp very closely and compare it to others, I have seen Stanwells with only the "made in..." stamp, so your pipe could very well be a Stanny...
...from the stamp on my pipe, I've decided it's either a Kriswill or a Karl Erik made pipe, it took a while to come to this conclusion and I don't think I'll ever know for sure, but it's a decent $12 pipe for sure!

:)

qcEM0UY.jpg

TzE54IZ.jpg

forestman

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
I also have a Danish Sovereign 64, similar to your mystery pipe mrlowercase. Perhaps my favourite piece of briar.

May 31, 2012
Yeah, I like the 64 shape too.

The early ones were much more severe than the 63, the straight-line bottom and looking almost like a pickaxe, it also had an oval shank. Over time the 64 became just a larger version of the 63, with the same rounded bowl bottom.
The 64M I've got has a glorious ring-grain blast, I love it!

kkrvDkK.jpg

ek1XzcG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.