Stanwell lines/quality? Help me navigate please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
PAD has hit me again (does it ever go away?) and I'm considering adding a Stanwell to my slowly growing collection but am at a loss in terms of navigating their various lines. Outside of the color and finish, what are the differences in quality between their Royal Guard, Silkebrun, Royal Danish, De Luxe, Danske Club, and Golden Danish lines for example? Are any considered better or best? I found a Stanwell Royal Danish estate in very good condition for sale for about $35. Is this a fair price? It is offered by a reputable online seller.
Thanks.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Stanwell recently moved production from Denmark to Italy. I have not smoked an Italian made Stanwell but I own several that were made in Denmark.
I like the Golden Danish finish. I don't think there is any difference in smoking quality between the finishes, it is a matter of preference. If the estate pipe you found is not busted or out of round, $35 would be a really fair price for a danish made estate, I would pay above$100 if I liked the shape.

s-straight-600x448.jpg

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Sounds like a fair price to me. I've never had a stanwell, but my next pipe is going to be a golden Danish Canadian. They sell for just over €100.

Go for it, they have a very good name, here at least.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for chiming in. That is one nice pipe, Sallow! What a cool stem.

On closer inspection of the Royal Danish pipe I'm considering I noticed the button has bite marks which is giving me pause. Other than that it seems in good condition.

Are all of the Stanwells for sale on P&C made in Italy?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I would guess that the new Stanwells at p&c (or most other shops for that matter) are Italian.
If you go to smokingpipes.com in their estate pipe section under danish estates they have a few nice Stanwells, and you will get an idea what they usually will go for.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I got grabbed by a sale at P&C and grabbed a Stanwell army mount billiard. Perfectly nice pipe. I would have no qualms about recommending them for new pipes.

OP.grab that Stan you are looking at. $35 for your first Stan is a good introduction.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Ive bought 2 Stanwells from Ebay both under $30 but valued much higher, If considering the first thing you want is a Danish made and make sure it is marked so and the second is a non filtered pipe, I talking vintage/estate pipe and they a re a good quality. If you are looking at the newer ones then I can be of no help to you as I dont smoke anything made after I was born.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
If you're particularly interested in Stanwell, be sure to check out the entry on Pipedia!
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Stanwell

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had old and new ones, all were good smokers and finished nicely, now I have both the Duke and Royal Guard as well,the former(Duke)being a bit of a higher quality,whereas SilkeBrun, Royal Danish and Danske club series represent Stanwells lower end line up

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The Stanwell behind the Sav 320 is one I got during the same sale Jud got his. It's light, smokes cool and is comfortable to clench. It gets picked up and smoked lot.
Sav%20and%20Stanwell_zpseyzrxgcr.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have bought four Stanwells, all new production "Danish design" made in Italy. I do not have any of the old Danish-made pipes, but I would compare the new ones favorably with other good pipes I have that were made in Denmark, such as Johs and Nordings. I think people always regard pipes suspiciously when the point of manufacture is moved to a different country; so do I. But I am favorably impressed with the Italian made Stanwells. PC has an edge on pricing on new Stanwells, if you become interested.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
nq7Y1jk.jpg
njnpFbo.jpg
I love my Stanwells, but must warn against the new ones made in Italy. I feel the quality went way down with the move. There are some great estate deals out there. Here are my Flame Grain 212 and Silhouette.

Status
Not open for further replies.