PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I now own around 15 pipes. My fist was a MM corn cob. After asking for advice on briars - and receiving many suggestions - I decided to purchase a lightly smoked Savinelli or Stanwell. I found this Stanwell on ebay, liked the looks, and placed a bid.
I think I paid around $50 for this Golden Danish(made in Denmark). The seller said that it was smoked once or twice. And when it arrived it still had the dottle to prove it. I gave it the old salt and alcohol bath, sanitized the stem, and a few days later gave it a smoke. I was underwhelmed.
It smoked hot. I was getting tongue-bite. The pipe was getting really hot. I smoked a number of tobaccos in it.
So I bought a couple new Savinellis. And I got along much better with the Savs, then purchased a several other new and lightly smoked pipes. I put the Stanwell in a basket in the basement and forgot about it.
I find that I prefer pipes with a tighter draw - so my P-lip Petersons and my Butz-Choquin get a lot of smoke time. And my Savs, though a more open draw, get their share of use as well.
But this Stanwell sat in the basement in a wicker basket until a few days ago, when I decided to give it another try. And I'm glad I did.
This is one amazing pipe. Seems that the problem wasn't with the pipe, but with my beginner's technique. I've put three or four smokes into it over the past few days. Though in many ways I still prefer a tighter draw, I'm finding that in this Stanwell the tobacco stays lit from first light to dottle. The bowl isn't getting hot any longer. Tongue bite isn't an issue anymore. And the pipe is so light-weight - it's a great clencher.
I'm not sure how the Italian-made Stanwells compare with this Denmark-made pipe. But I think I'll be buying more stanwells in the future.

May 31, 2012
No doubt,

Stanwells usually deliver the goods.
That's a nice Golden Danish in one of my favorite Stanny shapes, a 19, designed by Sixten Ivarsson.

A true classic.
Glad to hear it's serving you well!

:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was a late-comer to Stanwells, always wanted one but took a long time to get there. First I bought a Silk Brune

finish bulldog shape 32 from SP, and here lately I bought a Brushed Black shape 56 Canadian and a Brushed Brown

shape 86 (originally designed by Sixten Ivarsson) in the PC sale for $49.95, adding an extra buck for a nice wood

pipe stand with the Black Brushed. Stanwells are just fine smokers, well drilled, light in weight for their size, and

sturdy in construction. The little bulldog is an ideal Va/Per and/or flake or plug pipe, and the others are large enough

for complex english or burley blends. I'm also a big fan of Petersons, Johs, Savs, and others, but Stanwells are pretty

fine, dollar for dollar as good as any. Happy smoking.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have six Stanwells (4 from the '70s and early '80s), and '70s two Danish Sovereigns (made by Stanwell), and all are good smokers. Two of the Stanwells are Golden Danish pipes from 2001, and they are good, though not quite as good as my earlier ones. They still deliver a good smoke, though. I hear current production isn't what it used to be, but for the price, they're still decent pipes.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Interesting. I'm having a similar experience with a Golden Danish. I bought it as an estate. Reamed it, cleaned it. Can't get a good smoke out of it. Everything is tasteless or bitter, and never smoked a hotter pipe!

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I've got a Stanwell Golden Danish Lovat, and love it. I only smoke Prairie Wind in this pipe. I've I'm not careful I will chase the wonder flavor and the pipe will get hot. It's a great clencher.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Stanwells are a great breed. I dedicate my Golden Danish billiard to C&D Gentleman Caller. A nice 30 minute smoke and never a problem. Enjoy yours.

May 31, 2012
I bought it as an estate. Reamed it, cleaned it. Can't get a good smoke out of it. Everything is tasteless or bitter, and never smoked a hotter pipe!
What shape is your pipe?
I had a similar experience with a brand new 63M Golden Danish, it was an early Italian "danish design" production, it had a great blast, but for some reason it had a very very thick layer of lacquer on it, and that's what I thought the culprit, it was a hot hot smoker, I ended up selling it.
It's the only Stanwell I've ever came across that had such a heavy coating of very noticeable lacquer or whatever it was, some sort of clear coat...

Status
Not open for further replies.