PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaelf32

Lurker
Mar 25, 2018
Hi all.... I purchased this pipe last year and can't make out some of the words on the bottom of the bowl. Also wondered it's age....

stanwell_1.jpg

stanwell_2.jpg

I see Stanwell, Made in Denmark, 17, Golden??? but one I'm not sure....thanks for any info.....

seaelf32

Lurker
Mar 25, 2018
Thank you, Dunstanhillwell....it's not a bad smoker....kinda hard to tell from my picture, but I'm not too sure if the stem is original...it's not a "smooth" transition from shank to stem....running your fingers along it you can feel a little bit of a "step" and looking at it from the side you can see it.
All the best

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
You're most welcome.

I just checked Basil Stevens' list and it says "17. Small Billard, rounded rim, saddle mouthpiece, by Sixten Ivarsson".

Then again, in a catalogue from the nineties, the no. 17 looks like yours.
:puffy:

seaelf32

Lurker
Mar 25, 2018
Thanks again for the info. I did see the description for the 17 with the saddle mouth piece from the Stevens' list but didn't see the 90's catalog. I'll have to look that up. Happy Easter.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
You're most welcome.

Pipedia has several of the old Stanwell catalogues for download.

Happy Easter to you too. (What's left of it, I am a little late in answering).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Denmark-made Stanwells will always have a special appeal, from the pipe makers in the home country, and some of the premier designers like Sixten Iversson. However, I will attest that the transition to Italian manufacture has been good, and the only Stanwells I own, which were made in Italy, maintain the high standards established originally in Denmark. But since you have a Danish-made pipe, take pride of ownership. It's the classic original.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
No one of my Stanwells whether it was Danish or Italian make hasn't let me down so far,yet like a curiosity I'm noticing those older Denmark era pipes usually have a fraction larger chamber size compared to current Italian produced ones.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have a Danish-made to compare, but the Italian production bowls have fit nicely in my array of various size chambers. With flake, they go for an hour or so.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
Stanwell recycled some of their early shape numbers. Here's a stummel of a no. 17 from the early 1950s. The stem is rather short wit a slight bend.

It looks neither like Basil Stevens' description of the no. 17 nor your no. 17.
stanwell-no-17-early-1950s-600x424.jpg

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
The Denmark-made Stanwells will always have a special appeal,...But since you have a Danish-made pipe, take pride of ownership. It's the classic original.
You're so right. I liked Stanwells since I bought my first ones in the early eighties, when I started to earn serious money.
In March of last year I started to collect Danish-made Stanwells in earnest and it never stops. At least I hope not. :D

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
17 only came with saddle bit? That might explain why the stem is not perfectly registered; a previous owner may have preferred the tapered bit this one now has.
Nice none the less. I almost always prefer tapered to saddle. :wink:

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
seaelf, here's the Brass Band version of a no. 17.

If Basil Stevens is right, we have three different nos. 17. Or he made a typo and meant 'tapered stem'.

This does look like a small billard with rounded rim.
stanwell-no-17.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.