PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I know we talk a bunch about Peterson's on here and I thought I would see if any people here enjoy Stanwells as much as I do! I know at the moment I love Stanwell, I have three of their pipes and those three are my best smokers. Anyone else out there?

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I haven't tried one myself but the tobacconists I go to always recommend them to me. They all look nice and are at a good price, I'll be getting one shortly after the holidays have passed.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
HERE HERE ! ! ! I was a Stanwell fan long before I became a Peterson fan. I find that both companies offer a similar product. Always good bang for your buck and have a wide enough price range to fit every smoker/collector's budget. I have never had a Stanwell that smoked anything less than very well. I have 3 as well and all 3 are a joy to smoke, hold, and look at. They are one of the finest under $100.00 pipes out there for sure.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm off to the post office right now to pick this one up along with a 100gm tin of W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage and a tin of Peterson Sunset Breeze. I will report back after ignition.
stanny-600x324.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I like Stanwells . I have several that I smoke quite often . The second lines are an excellent buy , Jarl etc.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Stanwells do seem to have gone up a lot in price over the years. They used to be a lot less expensive. They are still priced well for what you get. I go for smokeability first and aesthetics second. Stanwells always seem to be well engineered and made from good briar so they always seem to smoke well. It just so happens that their shaping and finishing aesthetics REALLY appeal to me as well.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Stanwells offer a great value for the money. In addition to affordable prices, they have a wide variety of interesting shapes. My only complaint is that most are on the small side and I prefer big pipes.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Well Jason I have an, 06 Deluxe, a 196 . a 133, A ll Stanwell. A Jarl 76 and a Jarl Ribbon 81 C. Always looking for a good trade .

arko

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Big fan of Stanwell here. I have three of them + a second (Santana), and they're among my best smokers, that's for sure.
But I have to admit that I'm a bit worried about the recent move of production (from Denmark to Italy). I've yet to hold a Italien made Stanwell in my hand, but I've heard a couple of bad things so far from people who have. Mostly about the finishes.
Also, some of you may have read my blog post a while ago, the one dealing with the new batch of army mounts from Stanwell (that are not army mounted anymore!). http://pipesmagazine.com/arko/pipe-smoking/stanwell-army-mount-not-so-much-anymore/

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Interesting article Arko. Love your icon by the way. Just something chuckle inducing about a dog smoking a pipe. I was not aware that Stanwell had moved production to Italy. I too am very against the fake army mount and I hope to tobacco heaven that they do not further taint my beloved Stanwell brand. Those new fake army mounts do look nice though he he he.

arko

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks, ohin!
Yeah, they do look pretty, these new so-called army mounts, and I was real happy when I first saw them ... but then, upon further inspection, I discovered the horrible truth.
I like army mounts a lot, and I don't think it's unreasonable for me to demand the real thing ;)
Hehe, yep, dogs'n'pipes are cool.

funn

Lurker
Jul 28, 2010
I have 4 to 5 Stanwells and they all are and were great smokes from the start. Minimal breaking in,smooth smoke and bite free. I love the shapes they offer. I bought some many years ago as they were cheaper than the higher grades and probably better smokes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have only one Stannie, a Colonial bulldog from Frenchy's. I bought it on the strength of his recommendation,

and I've been very happy with it. I would have no problem buying another. (Sensibly priced too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.