Stanwell "Bench Made" line... where does it fit in?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyb

Lurker
Sep 3, 2014
There is some pretty good information compiles around the internet regarding Stanwell shapes, lines, and history; but I'm not seeing much information regarding the "Bench Made" line (I have a shpe 13 billiard). I remember glimpsing something that said it was a notch ahead of the "Hand Made" line (which doesn't really make sense since the name "Bench Made gives the impression of a machine-turned bowl) and now I can't find where I read that. Do any Stanwell afficianados have experience or knowledge of this one?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I can't help, but it's a great question. I've wondered the same thing, myself. I'm sure someone here will have some information.

Timely, I was just discussing with a friend about whether Stanwells were going to price themself into the Grabow category. I realize that they had to get their outsourced pipes out there for the pipe public to be reassured that they are still good pipes, but many have been dropped down to the bucket pipe price. It will be interesting to see where they take themselves.

randyb

Lurker
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks, Michael, that's all helpful. I have several of the Danish Sovereigns, as well, and I can tell you the flaws are so minute (they were left natural with no fills), that they are barely visible even with a jeweler's lupe. I guess that speaks to the critical eye with which Stanwells were graded. It's also my understanding that the DS line was only marketed in the US and Canada.
The order filling policy also makes sense, similar to situations where a manufacturer targeted and marked a pipe for a specific market, and then because of demand, redirected it into another market. This repurposing product for different markets certainly happened frequently, and are the reasons for some of the anomalies in nomenclature and finish that we see from time to time.
This Bench Made Billiard I'm looking at has two ever-so-small pits in the top of the shank, but is quite a nicely grained piece compared to the DS Billiards I have. Thus it also makes sense that they would try to position or create tiers to maximize the value of the product. Why mark a flawed bowl as a DS selling for $20.00 if you could position it a bit higher, call it a Bench Made, and get $25.00 for it.
I neglected to put this question in the previous post - what might you know about the "Hand Made" pipes that were also stamped with "SELECTED BRIAR"? My Stanwells date back to the "white crown over S" period.
Thanks,

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.