Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Looks pretty damn good too:

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=9086
9088g.jpg

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I haven't purchased a new Stanwell so I don't have a comment on the quality, but I also have an open mind and until I see a rash of complaints by experienced pipers regarding their disgust with the new productions engineering and cosmetics I'll remain neutral.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I know nothing about the Danish Stanwells but I have 2 newer Stanwells that are excellent smokes... and at great prices. IMO, they are every bit as good smokes as my Ferndown, Radice, Savinelli and other quality pipes.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Those are sharp looking pipes. And I have to say that I have been very, very happy with my Italian made Stanwells. Superb smokers and great craftsmanship.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I dont like them either. Maybe they smoke great but I dont like the look of them.But hey thats just me. :)

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Never met a panel pipe I liked to begin with. And I think the large escutcheon is garish.
But in 35 years of pipe smoking, I have learned that SOMEONE loves every pipe.
Interesting take from newbie. I have one Stanwell, a very large billiard that was my Dad's, purchased ~ 1950.
Note that the founder of Stanwell actually changed the name to Stanwell so it would sound more English, as England was then the center of pipe manufactury for the world. [He eventually changed his OWN name to Stanwell.] So now the Italians buy the name and folks think they're getting a Danish pipe.
Stanwell History

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't think it is any secret that the new Stanwell pipes are no longer Danish made. But that doesn't mean that they are a worse pipe. Stanwell has always been a machine made pipe, and in some cassess, designed by a famous carver. Does it really make a difference where the machine is located during manufacturing?

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
I agree with you newbie. The danish made Stanwells are far superior to the ones being put out now. I purchased an Italian made one a while back and promptly returned it after finding the quality to be so subpar. The cost does not reflect the craftsmanship in the new Stanwells that is a fact.

Plus, when they've practically been giving them away at bucket pipe prices, I would have a hard time paying high end prices ever again for a Stanwell. I hate to say it, but they've fallen into the KIA category for me. It was the stupidest business decision ever; cut the throats of their workers and sell out their country all to make their pipes as cheap as a bucket pipe. That's the stupidest trade off ever.

They will have a very hard time breaking the $300 pipe category ever.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm sorry to hear the move to Italy was a scourge of their faithful Danish employees. I have to admit, the Italian pipes

I've bought, three of them, have proven good. As for the 2015 pipe of the year, the design is pleasing to me, but I

cannot resign myself to those little commemorative plates on the shanks. It's just not my thing. The pipe is my personal

possession; I don't want to smoke a historical marker. Just give good info on the stamp and leave the little metal plates off,

for my money.

I picked up a Featherweight and a bulldog back when I didn't know much about pipes. Great smokers. I think that between the Stans, the Nordings, and the Savinellis, a new smoker could build up an excellent rotation without having to make too much of a commitment. Any of these brands put out $60 pipes that would definitely be a step up from a corncob (no disrespect to the MM folks). Just like a Kia would be an excellent car for someone buying their first car. I bet its rare for a starting smoker to buy a Dunhill as a first briar.

But, all in all, it will be interesting to see if these POY pipes hold any value. I am assuming that the reason for the POY pipes is to put out a high end pipe for "collectors." Collectors being those who buy pipes for resale or aesthetic value. They are nice designs. It's just a shame that they messed in their nest like they have, IMO.
Even Savinelli has had a hard time holding value in their Autograph line as they have tread into the shallow end of the market more and more. And, Nordings aren't even holding value like they used to either.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I'm not much on panel pipes. I do have an Italian-made Featherweight and a Danish-made Flame Grain. They both smoke well and while the briar on my Featherweight is nice I give the nod to the Flame Grain on appearance and smokability. I purchased the Featherweight as part of P&C special.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I like the one in the middle too.
I have Stanwells made in both countries and I can't tell the difference. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.