PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
Back in the 1970s I was at university in Northern Ireland. During the holiday breaks I would sometimes go and stay at the home of an old friend of the family. His name was Stanley and he had spent a lifetime wandering the wild places of the world. He was grizzled and bony and by the time I knew him he was well in his 70s, but still bright of eye and strong of arm. To everyone’s surprise he had found love late in life and his home, with his much-loved wife and young daughter, was always a warm and welcoming place to be.
He smoked Bulwark which, in those days, could be bought just about anywhere in Northern Ireland. Stanley would laugh if I told him what tobaccos I had tried recently (although, then, I smoked mainly Players Whisky Flake). In the years I knew him I never once saw Stanley smoke anything except his beloved Bulwark, mostly in small billiards. He would light up, and as the smoke wreathed his face, you could see his whole body relax - it was almost poetic to watch.
I was thinking about Stanley the other day, and especially about his simple loyalty to one brand.
At any given time I probably have four or five different tobaccos on the go, with maybe a dozen more in tins to be enjoyed later. Perhaps it has to do with my personality and I know there will be people on the forum who have many more tobaccos than I to choose from of an evening. The world of pipe tobacco is a very broad one and it is a delight to taste and sample something new.
But there is something in me too that admires Stanley and envies his complete satisfaction with one tobacco like an old lover he is content to grow old with, to the exclusion of all others.
Does this make any sense?
Cheers

Mike

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Makes total sense! Without a treatise on sociological trends, I'd point out that we're all tobacco whores, flitting from one blend to another, seeking satisfaction that's there all the time with what we have. Heck, in the 60's I stuck with one blend, Burlington Arcade.
The times, they are a-changin'!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I envy Stanley too. That's something nice to be said, that a man can be so satisfied with one blend of tobacco. Especially since I have the same name.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Makes sense to me, I'd smoke condor plug happily if it was all I could get. Although I too am a tobacco tart and sniff around a lot of other sorts.

I never tried bulwark and it was discontinued a few years ago.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Very nice post. Almost all of the old boys I grew up around had their blend, regardless of how many were available at the shop. Mind you, if someone was offering their pouch, they were all happy to partake.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
In my three years with the pipe, I doubt I've sampled more than a dozen blends. One I buy semi-regularly is GH Pensioners Mixture, which by it's very nature changes with every bag. I also keep coming back to Coniston Cut Plug Unscented and Squadron Leader.
I think it would probably be very easy for me to settle into one or two blends. I think what helped was starting with the Gawiths. Aside from several SG and GH blends, the only blends I've tried are MacBaren Cube and Condor Long Cut.
I have no pressing desires to try to explore everything on the market. I don't seek out the subtle nuances of the smoke and get all "Readers Digest" in my appraisal of them. All I want is a nice, pleasant, relaxing, satisfying smoke (not just in terms of nicotine though). I have found that can be achieved with a box of matches, a cheap pipe and a good tobacco. So long as I can keep buying a bag of fine Kendal tobaccos to smoke in my cob, clay, or cheap briar, that's fine with me.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I watched grandpa smoke nothing but Prince Albert for many years. I've smoked a lot of blends over the years.I could do with just one though if I had no other choice.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
There are a number of blends I could happily smoke exclusively. Bombay Court comes to mind. McClelland Oriental #8 or Telegraph Hill. The cut of the blend is really the biggest thing to me. These three combine flavor combined with a reliable cut pus these three to the top of my list.But, I have cellar full of different blends make the prospect of one man, one blend make this highly unlikely for this guy.
Mike S.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Didache, a very nice reminiscence. My dad was a pipe smoker from the 1940s through the 1970s. He was first generation Swedish/Norwegian and his one and only blend was Borkum Riff. Maybe pipe smoking was more utilitarian back then and less artisanal. I have fond memories of the smell of Borkum Riff and only started smoking a pipe about the time I turned fifty and was reminiscing about what my dad found so attractive about pipe smoking. To me, pipes were his essence and I guess I wanted to recreate that and honor it, too. Here I am eight years on wishing he were still here so I could share a bowl with him.
As an aside, Borkum Riff is so maligned now days, but I bought some BR from the 1980s last year from Pipestud and it was a good smoke! I'm relieved my dad didn't have bad taste in tobacco :)

Status
Not open for further replies.