PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was browsing forums as I do every morning and I stumbled upon this sentence in a closed thread.
The etched finish and stepped tenon are nothing Dunhill ever did, and the button is wrong.
The sentence was made by our lovely, dark humor master georged. I have been here for almost 2 years and there have been probably hundreds of threads about different pipe brands, pipemakers, etc. and sometimes similar questions had been asked. Here are my questions:
1) What is a wrong button? Of course, I am not talking about a button being unbalanced or having visible defects. I am asking if there are any standards regarding the buttons and how does that affect the pipe smoking and clenching.
2) Are there any other standards, proportions, ratios, etc? For example, a ratio of mortise to tenon or mortise to shank or stem to shank, etc.
FYI, I am not a pipe collector and I have only few pipes (which I smoke regularly). Some smoke fine, some don't, overall I am doing good (taking into consideration that I am mostly into pipe tobacco than pipes itself). I just would like to know more about pipes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Javan, I think Georged was saying the stem button pictured on the (now closed thread) and alleged to be a Dunghill stem wasn't so because it wasn't made in their particular style or shape. Therefore it was 'wrong' to say it was of their style/shape.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A bit like seeing a "restored" Mercedes with a Buick front end.... (?) That is, the experts can see such in a pipe, and I might be able to see an error in reconstructing a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.