Standards, we don't need no stinkin' standards!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Was going to head down for a smoke when I got to thinking my group 1 & 2 Shell's would look cool together so I grabbed 4 and the visual struck me cold, then to add insult to the mix I grabbed a group 3 marked Quaint Cutty Shell. Let's play a guessing game here, these pipes range from 1917-1982, I won't tell you which is which but see if you can I.D. them and let me know if your guess is from L-R or R-L, might be a prize to the winner if too many don't get it right. ;)
I'm guessing many will be shocked when I tell you which are group 1 and which are group 2 and finally the group 3, oh extra challenge is not only tell me what group pipe it is but what year, I will give hints in a bit.

banjo
15419341613_12ac4a1f07.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
assaad got 2 group sizes correct, one on the left and one in the middle

rsuninv got 2 group sizes correct, one on the left and one on the right

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
assaad got 2 group sizes correct, one on the right and one in the middle look at your first reply assad you got 1 right on the left first time
wyfbane got 3 group sizes correct one on the right and one in the middle and one on the right
eightywon got 2 right, one on the left and the one in the middle so for that reason I'll now state the one in the middle is a Quaint Cutty Shell Briar group 3.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
So many answers across the forums I posted on I figured I'd post the answers. These are listed in the new photo from top to bottom and equate to the original photo from L-R.
1st pipe at top Richard Dunhill's Shell Briar Group 2 CA 1982
2nd pipe from top the 1968 group 1 Shell Briar I just bought
3rd pipe in the center Cutty Quaint group 3 CA 1980
4th pipe from top 1917 Shell Briar with real ivory spot group 1
Last pipe from top 1950 Shell Briar birth year pipe group 2
16018942356_e21cdfe014.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The 1917 is the smallest Dunhill bowl I'd seen at the time and had it looked at by a Dunhill fanatic and he showed me where it fell with the dimension chart he had from that ERA, wish I had a camera with me to have a photo of the chart but alas, I didn't. :(

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Wow, that is an odd pup will have to look it up to see if there are any photos of one with the wind cap, thanks for sharing!

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.