PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Formed of leaves pressed into what more resembles a cake than a bar, the new War Horse Bar comes out of the package with a strong vanilla scent indicating the ever-popular top flavoring (among others) has been applied here in strength. It burns off quickly, however, revealing in sequence the smoky taste of the Dark Fired Kentucky Burley, followed by the sweetness of Virginia, and underneath it all, a heart of dark Burleys beats, giving the blend a reasonably strong presence of Nicotine and a broad, rich flavor. Unlike the UK plugs, this blend will not put you on the floor, but it has reasonable strength and a solid flavor, if a bit less integrated than the variants from across the sea. The grim fact is that little can compete with the steam-powered presses that are used over there, as PipesMagazine Forum member "misterlowercase" opined some years ago, and so this bar more resembles the loose-cut blends of the Americas than the European variety. In this blend, the dark fired and Burley tobaccos form a pleasant synergy and mostly absorb the Virginia, but there is not the smooth integration from overseas. Nonetheless, it is a pleasant smoke despite the stench of roasted marshmallows it leaves behind, and if offered at domestic prices, would be a good addition to a regular rotation.
Thanks to Pipes Magazine forum member "cosmic" for this sample.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10735#review90741
Very interesting to try this.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
For what it's worth, I bought some of the first big release about 6 weeks ago and the flavors weren't that well integrated, but I just started a tin from the second batch and it's much better on that count. The topping isn't as over-the-top either. I think the bars just needed a bit of time to rest, but I can no longer pick out the individual tobacco flavors -- everything is nicely integrated, now.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's no vanilla in it. Anise, Valerian root, Tonquin, possibly Heliotrope. When I passed it around at the WCPS, it put plenty of people on the ground and they were plenty happy. I was pleased that they were able to make a plug from it. Softer than Revor, but still a solid block that required a sharp knife for good slices. I like this blend, though I don't smoke it often because of the nic hit.
Hmmmm...think I'll have a smoke in this nice amber stemmed Perkins cutty from 1896.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There's no vanilla in it.
That's nice, but until we hear from someone with legal responsibility, I'm sticking with the original review.
It certainly is an interesting mixture, but not quite inspiring enough to be an instant classic.
And so... it hovers in the middle. Let me know when someone is willing to make a notarized statement about the ingredients, otherwise all conjecture is bullshit.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I believe Russ posted in another thread that the Bar had valerian and the Green had heliotrope.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There's no vanilla in it.
That's nice, but until we hear from someone with legal responsibility, I'm sticking with the original review.
You could be tasting the Dihydrogen Monoxide. In addition to it's uses in processing pipe tobacco, it's also a principle ingredient in vanilla ice cream.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
ONdwKge.png

OGRA0vO.png

Whether they put vanilla in there, or a combination of chemicals form to make an almondy, vanilla-y aroma, I (and those in the room with me) smell a touch of vanilla... and almonds. Also, you don't HAVE to use a knife. The "plug" breaks apart easily by just fidgeting with the "plug" with your fingers to easily break up the tobacco for smoking. I break up the entire plug for mine to make it easier to load my pipes.
That said, all arguments aside, despite... it is an amazing new tobacco that I am glad to have around. An American Lakeland of sorts. Whether it tastes like the original or not, which 97% of us will never ever be able to compare it to.
Despite it not being a plug, or whatever the exact chemical concoction is, I still enjoy it, regardless. I enjoy the hell out of it.
It does make me wonder while smoking it... I end up pondering why companies have evolved to use the certain flavors that they do in adding a flavor to an aromatic. Purity laws... everyone refers to purity laws, but is vanilla, cherry, and apple not about the same "purity" as tonquin beans or rose, or geranium oils? What the hell were they using before such purity laws? Were they making tobaccos that smelled like Channel #5 or British Sterling, or even Brutt cologne? I could see why the Danish and other Germanic companies using flavors used in the pastries that they were so famous for in those regions... I can see why the Americans used the sugary flavors they had on hand also... I can even understand using flavors that enhance the natural flavors of tobacco like plums and apricots... But, tonquin beans and geraniums? Did the English just pull those flavors out because they were all that was left in the cologne industry after you remove the other chemicals that make up their perfume industry?

I'd be interested to try a small sample of a tobacco that lead to there being a purity law.
All that said, War Horse, all of the War Horses, are on my list of favorite tobaccos, despite...

Reactions: NewEnglandPiper38
And, if someone ever asks me, "what does it smell like," of course so am going to say vanilla almond. It's way easier than trying to remember that obscure list of stuff that no one understands. Just like if someone asks me what Deathmetal "music" sounds like, I will say that it sounds like, I will say that it sounds like really fast Motley Crue... or really angry VanHalen... because it's a frame of reference that I can relate with a shared and understood simili. :puffy:

Reactions: NewEnglandPiper38

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Good review there Brett. FWIW I too detect vanilla on the nose, along with liquorice and peppermint! There is however something else in the mix that I do not like at all. I cannot say what it is as I don't know myself.
As you correctly point out, this is in no way a plug tobacco, far too loosely compacted to be in that category and as Michael points out, this can be picked apart with the fingers...try doing that to Erinmore, Condor or Full Virginia Plug!
Though I have both the red and green I have only sampled the red to date and that is because I want some of the stench (which my sister and ex missus both thought 'delightful') to dissipate.
Smokewise it was fine, thankfully not too much of the 'flavourings' were tasted but again as has been pointed out, it's difficult to differentiate the different tobaccos in the blend.
I'm going to leave them both be for another couple of weeks afore I dip into them with any vigour.
"You could be tasting the Dihydrogen Monoxide. In addition to it's uses in processing pipe tobacco, it's also a principle ingredient in vanilla ice cream."
Would that be water then Dan?
Regards,
Jay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Cosmic,
One reason those weird flavorings were used in British tobaccos is that they could be effective in very small amounts. The purity laws pertained to percentages or weights per whatever rather than whether the ingredients were natural. Maybe vanilla just wasn't effective at the level allowed by law or it was just too expensive.
Jay,
I smoked some War Horse Bar on our walk yesterday and my wife thought it smelled "lovely." What a gal. :mrgreen:

My family loves the smells also, and I love the way it makes my car smell also. It's like there is some "New Car" aroma in there also. It has probably increased the value of my car by $1000, ha ha.

My only issue is that when I smoke it too often, as I am like to do, I get a chemically drug hangover feeling, like I have taken too much pain medication on an empty stomach, and I've awoke in an strange place... naked... with "funny" feeling that I am going to regret something.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My only issue is that when I smoke it too often, as I am like to do, I get a chemically drug hangover feeling, like I have taken too much pain medication on an empty stomach, and I've awoke in an strange place... naked... with "funny" feeling that I am going to regret something.
Have you found the chip implanted in the back of your head yet? That's the next phase, but that normally only happens with the Green. The Red will lead to encounters similar to what you have described, but there's usually a stranger named "Bruce" involved. Either way, I'm glad that you are enjoying our blends.
For the record - no vanilla.
Russ
How about Butter Pecan? With sprinkles?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Why do we keep having this same conversation? :crazy:
There is Tonquin present which is used in many parts of the world as a vanilla substitute.
So, while there is no actual vanilla, the scent and flavor are present.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why do we keep having this same conversation? :crazy:
There is Tonquin present which is used in many parts of the world as a vanilla substitute.
So, while there is no actual vanilla, the scent and flavor are present.
Speaking for myself, despite similarities there's a distinct difference in the flavor between vanilla and tonquin, one which I appreciate. I find Tonquin a richer and slightly more complex flavor experience. So, knowing that Tonquin is a component of the topping might encourage me to give the blend a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.