PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Let me start by saying thanks to all involved in this endeavor, great job guys.
As a note I have been smoking a pipe for a year now after moving from cigars, but I still smoke them on occasion, golfing etc. and my impressions are from a new piper's perspective. I am not now nor have I ever been great at explaining flavors and the small nuances of blends. I know when I really like something, could take it or leave it and just don't like it
So for the reviews. I smoked all of the blends in a taster cob and a large bowl Ardor. They all were to me made with very good quality tobacco. The burns was effortless, very good smoke volume and burned to an ash taking into consideration the cobs, since the air hole is above the bottom of the pipe. I was pleased with them all in that respect and none of them bit me and I am a bit fast at times on the draw. I also note that the large bowl pipe made a big difference in tasting the blends, it was easier for me to pick out the subtle difference in the blends as to tobacco characteristics.
John Cotton's #1-This was a mild smoke to say the least. I picked out the Oriental right away with just a slight sour note which I like. I love Latakia and it was there but way in the background. There was an ever so slight sweetness but I found the blend to be dry and what I like to call mouth feel was not there. Heartier blends give me that feeling. All in all I liked this blend although very mild. My first thought on smoking this was it's refreshing. A nice subtle Oriental forward blend that a new guy can use to get a feel for Oriental's.
John Cotton's #1 and 2-This blend basically reminded me of JC-1 just stronger. Now they were not the same blend and there were some differences such a mouth feel and less dry. Now here while the oriental was clearly there the smoky Latakia was way more present and I love Latakia. Can anyone see where this will be going on the other blends. This was a nice medium smoke where all of the components make an entrance and exit at times. I found this to be interesting and enjoyable.
John Cotton's Smyrna-Well things are getting better with this blend, it's getting to steak time. This was a much richer blend and I would use the word savory. Tasty, sour, sweet, smokey, rich, very good silky mouth feel and a very good after taste. We are cooking now.
Warhorse-Well someone turned the stove off on this one, no longer cooking for me. This review lacks some specifics and now I hate to rain on the parade but this blend did nothing for me. I must really be sensitive to Burley and I could tell it was Burley as soon as I smelled it. Now I normally like a earthy taste in my cigars and I thought I could maybe handle this but the Burley overwhelmed this blend. There was spice, there was strength to me in the plus side of medium and the dark fired added to this. The nic hit is also noticeable as compared to the other blends and is medium at best but it would be wise to eat something first. I greatly dislike cigars with cameroon leaf and I am clearly not a fan of Burley forward blends. If you hide the Burley than maybe I could have liked this. I don't care for Stonehaven for the same reason and I do not seek it out, nor will I this blend. Quality product, of course, Russ was involved. If you really like Burley forward and I mean forward blends, this is for you. Burley lovers, Enjoy
Bengal Slices-The best for last. One word-Outstanding! This is it, it's my Penzance. The blends crumble cake presentation and it's quality are superb. I rubbed it out, let it dry for a an hour and did a medium fill. Burn and smoke volume was great. My previous love was Gaslight and with this one, who knows and I can't wait to see how this ages. Latakia lovers rejoice. This has it all, spice, smoke, richness, sweetness, oriental sour note, mouth feel and I don't know what else to say. This is the Filet Mignon of these blends for me. Spice the steak up, throw it on the grill, cook to medium rare, slice it and add a good hearty Merlot and you got Bengal Slices. It was to me the best of the 5 and a definite cellar addition.
So all in all a great experience in trying each of these. If I had a $100.00 TAD budget this would be how I spend it if the tins were $10.00 each:
JC 1-$10.00, JC 1&2-$20.00, JC Smyrna-$20.00, Bengal Slices $50.00 and I would raise the TAD budget to $120.00 and make the Bengal Slices $70.00.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I like your descriptions, and it sounds like your taste in tobacco is similar to mine.
I am eagerly awaiting availability of these blends!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm behind the curve on these blends. Have they been released to the public yet? If so, where might I purchase them.
pax

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Warhorse-Well someone turned the stove off on this one, no longer cooking for me. This review lacks some specifics and now I hate to rain on the parade but this blend did nothing for me. I must really be sensitive to Burley and I could tell it was Burley as soon as I smelled it. Now I normally like a earthy taste in my cigars and I thought I could maybe handle this but the Burley overwhelmed this blend. There was spice, there was strength to me in the plus side of medium and the dark fired added to this. The nic hit is also noticeable as compared to the other blends and is medium at best but it would be wise to eat something first.
This is encouraging on the question of whether the new War Horse will be a pale imitation or not.
Burley is such a strange tobacco in that at a certain level (OJK) it becomes distinctive, and at other levels it fades into the background for the first 2/3 of the bowl.
Personally I find it delicious, and consider C&D Dark Burley to be a perfect all-day smoke, but I realize that is a minority preference perhaps and can sympathize with those who do not like to be slapped in the face with it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Damn it all.
I missed this the first time around.
Killer reviews, Zito. Thank you for taking the time to write this up,
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.