PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

firewater

Lurker
Mar 27, 2018
i understand why pipe makers stamp there pipes, but i dont like having brand names on my pipes. i love the look of nicely stained wood and seeing a stamp just ruins the look to me. i like the smooth feel of a polished and waxed pipe but if the stamp isn't filled it ruins the tactile sensation. if the pipe is rusticated having a smooth portion for the stamp just ruins the look.
what im getting at is. does anyone know of a QUALITY pipe maker that doesn't ruin the pipe's vanity with there signature? every time i see a pipe i like im turned away by the stamp. any recommendations will be appreciated.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You might convince a custom carver to leave off all nomenclature....
But I've never seen nor heard of what you desire.
Most curious: Would you please post photos of pipes you have that you do like?
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I think most quality pipe makers take great pride in their stamps. I don't know of any who don't stamp their pipes, but there may be some out there?

firewater

Lurker
Mar 27, 2018
jpmcwjr - i like pipes of all shapes, sizes, colors, styles, and finishes, but i just find the stamp's off-putting like it was a big hairy mole on a hot woman's face.

if ur asking if i have any pipes without stamps. i do have a few, there just cheap one's from drug store's or on amazon, the person who carved them left there name off of them for a good reason, ether the finish is messed up or it was carved crooked. i recently found 1 at my local convenient store that was a bent egg that was lopsided for $10. when i saw it i laughed but then i figured i could sand it down so i got it and i did, now its almost totally symmetrical and looks like a cross between an egg and a billiard. i may bust out my camera tomorrow and take a pick of it if u really want.

May 4, 2015
I don't fault you for liking what you like, but this is an altogether new complaint for me. I haven't heard of anyone being upset with nomenclature. Interesting.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have one customer that likes unstamped pipes. I stamp them on the end of the shank, for identification purposes, but it can't be seen if the pipe is together.
I ... kinda agree with the OP, although on a smooth pipe I find the stamp pretty well invisible, I have become less and less of a fan of leaving a big smooth blob on a blasted pipe... I just stamp over the blast now.

Status
Not open for further replies.