PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
is it possible to stain over a stain on a smooth pipe?
I wanted to turn it pure black

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Wonder if i have to sand it down, of if there is something i can keep rubbing on it to darken the stain

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Yes, but only because your wanting to use black... but you have to sand it down smooth in several steps... make sure you use an Alcohol based non toxic stain or even a water based non toxic stain and apply it in several steps... then comes the polishing with a polishing wheel using a rubbing compound like Orange Tripoli... then after you get a nice shine... its time to use the Carnauba wax on a polishing wheel to get that high gloss.
I would recommend using a no name basket pipe to practice on... I would hate for you to ruin a perfectly good pipe by making any mistakes.
Or you could just spend the money you would use to buy all the equipment and buy that "Peterson Ebony" I showed you in your other thread. :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
If you aren't acquainted with pipe restoration perhaps a pipe that has a black factory finish is in order...
Feel free to experiment of course, but consider the fact that you may make mistakes. captainprophesy has the right idea - a basket pipe that you wouldn't be too upset to lose is the best option.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
so i will need to sand it down and re gloss it?
i read that there are some stains that you can get at lowes or home depot to slowly alter the color,
that seeps through the finishes and changes the wood color

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
you need to strip away the wax that's on it. possibly lacquer if it has that too. by sanding, i'm sure he means an extremely fine grit. maybe wetsandpaper.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Hey Jsiddle, I highly reccommend that you use about a 600 grit sandpaper to strip the wax off of the pipe and a little of the stain as well. Then, get yourself some black leather dye (please do not use an actual stain from lowes), I use the USMC Black from Fiebing. You can find this easily on ebay if you do choose to use it. Then, re-seal it with some carnuba wax so that it shines and so the stain will not come off on your hands anytime some moisture hits it.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
hey there i have done several re-staining on pipes i will only use fiebings stain. its a leather stain that you can get at some hobby stores or shoe repair stores. its a great high quality stain that is alcohol based. dependings on the condition of the pipe you could sand it down all the way, however i personally do not always recommend this unless you want to go lighter in color. also is you were to remember to use the highest grit you can get, i use 1000 grit or higher, and always go with the grain. you can also use a good de-glosser, or anything that will remove the poly,wax, or what ever it is finish with. once you re stain use a heat source (flame, lighter,heat gun) over the bowl (without stem in it) heating sets the stain better,wipe excess off. repeat if desired. let dry overnight, then start polishing the bowl with a good carnuba wax. the more coats the better the look.

if its a rustic bowl you can do the same thing....trick for getting the finishing shine on these bowls is wax and then lightly heat the wax which will melt into the little areas.

good luck

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Could you also get a black finish by stripping off the original finish, airbrushing/spraying on a black lacquer paint, and lacquer top coat?

Aug 14, 2012
I have never stained a pipe, but I have removed stain and wax. Rubbing alcohol will do it, but it leaves a bad taste for a while. A high proof alcoholic beverage will do it without messing up the taste, such as Perry's Tot 114 proof gin or Green Chartreuse. You do not have to sand it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah Cup O Joes has some really nice Cara and Fermoys from Peterson that are a dark ebony stain. Or if you wait until the end of this month or next month the Dracula series should be available with a great dark ebony stain and an attractive red and black stem.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
LMAO @ Hobie!
Jsiddle, I've got a shoe shop near my office where I'll be picking up a re-soled pair of loafers this week, in addition to a few bottles to of Fiebings. Tell me what you need and I'll be happy to forward same.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Jsiddle, I've got a shoe shop near my office where I'll be picking up a re-soled pair of loafers this week, in addition to a few bottles to of Fiebings. Tell me what you need and I'll be happy to forward same.
Much appreciated! Some black leather stain to do a pipe or two, nothing big

Status
Not open for further replies.