PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
Hi folks, I have a dunhill bruyere that I'm going to be restoring and wanted to know what the closest dye color will be to keep it as close to original as possible. I have med and dark brown but figure I need something red

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
It's going to need some serious attention. The picture dies but show the edge of the bowl that's missing and needs to be rebuilt and worried the finish will get worn further when i micro mesh the stummel

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
You're not going to get the color you need out of a single bottle. You'll have to make a custom mix for each Dunhill pipe you work with. Yes, you will need a red tone for the Bruyere finish. My advice would be to practice your mixing with a few beaters before you try it with that Dunhill.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Fiebing's Mahogany is red. As the experts stated you will probably have to mix to get the right shade.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the pipe looked like the photo, I'd say don't stain it, the way other posts do. The Dunhill smokers are a discerning crew, so i assume you are restoring this for your own use, if it does not come out looking just like a Dunhill of that vintage "should." But the process should be educational. You'll learn a lot, and if you get it pretty well right, it could be a real treasure for you to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.