PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
About 90 days ago I mentioned if anyone knew about St. Claude pipes; I came across them at P&C (I believe). They had two large--really large--billiards, and a smaller one for modest smokes. I got all three because I like well blasted, black pipes and was especially impressed with the size of the big billiards. They are not as heavy to clench as one might imagine, but I would do it for long. I've gotten different stories about there origins, as they were found in a warehouse in the 90.s, and while French made, were not actually made in St. Claude. If anyone has any info on them, I'd appreciate hearing them Here they are:

img_20180805_175218-600x589.jpg

img_20180805_175512-600x581.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Naming pipes St. Claude when they aren't made there seems disingenuous on the face of it, but if they are French made, they are probably good to outstanding. The whole French pipe-making community is craft oriented and does nice work. I think there is a sense of pride and some competition there. I find my various French pipes well made and durable -- Chacom, BC, Genod, Vailiard. All of them rise above their price points, it seems to me. And remember, most of those beloved traditional "English" shapes originated in France, along with the use of briar as a principle pipe material.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I believe someone mentioned St. Claude was made by Chacom. Whatever, they are handsome pipes and smoke great! For $50, they can't be beat!

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I have a few of the same pipes. You can’t beat the price. They all smoke fantastically well. No matter the history or where they are made, I will continue to buy them.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well, without a stamp I doubt anyone but the importer will be able to offer more than a guess. However, since most pipes made in a France were made in St Claude there!s a good chance yours were too. Just out of curiosity, what color is the unstained briar?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
These pipes are stamped "St. Claude France, Bruyere" and underneath a word so tiny I needed a magnifying glass to read it, reads "Garantie," whatever that is.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
As long as it says "St Claude bruyere guarantie" it does not matter if they are without mark of manufacturer, it is more or less the same quality as the others with almost anything. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.