PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
I've had a few, I find them to be relatively light and pleasant to smoke. They hold up well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the brand, but if they really come from St. Claude in France, that would be promising. The whole French pipe community is devoted to its craftsmanship and is quite competitive but also very tightly knit with family interconnections between the different pipe makers. Most of the classic "British" shapes were originated in St. Claude and elsewhere in France, and of course, the French developed briar as a principle tobacco pipe material. I have always thought French pipes in general are well above their price points in quality, on all scores. So it doesn't surprise me that a St. Claude pipe would be a pretty good product.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for all the info, gents. I just ordered a St Claude large sandblasted, dark billiard. For only $40! How wrong can I go?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I got one of their horn stemmed pieces a few years ago. Good pipe just tighter draw than I'm used to.
002-701-0707.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's the St. Claude I picked up. Rather long, but that doesn't bother me, given what you fellows said. I think this is the first French pipe I will own.
002-701-17175263-2.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
They are very well made, and if the draw is restricted like mine, pack a little looser, and it will be right as rain.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Mistrust anyway, "St.Claude" has never been a brand as such!
There are no independent manufacturers currently, they all have a brand, the few unmarked have at least marked "Saint-Claude" with in addition to an acronym "bruyère", not just St.Claude ... And are sold only by a single French shop and in small quantities.
It can be like Chinese or Pakistani knives marked "Laguiole". :|

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
There are no independent manufacturers currently, they all have a brand, the few unmarked have at least marked "Saint-Claude" with in addition to an acronym "bruyère", not just St.Claude ... And are sold only by a single French shop and in small quantities.
The ones I have had have been distributed by Ropp, and bruyere is the French word for heather, the word that English speakers corrupted into "briar".
20180620_121515.jpg

Nice looking billiard, nonetheless. And unlike Duane's, if he has to, hawk could drill the draft out a little bit.
Mine has an interesting system. Metal tenon with a cork lined mortise.
20180620_120352.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparrow', for $40 it's worth a try. Is it stamped "Made in France," or "France"? That's no guarantee, but it would suggest its origins.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I spoke with Chris at SP, where I purchased the pipe. If I have this right, the St. Claudes are from Chacom, and very old, part of a stash found in a Chacom attic. Chris mentioned Ropp too; part of the Chacom family? But the pipe is definitely French.I should ask Chris to write all these details down.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Ropp was a well-known old brand in its own right, but the factory began to have difficulties in the 70s and closed down in 1988. (bought by Amiel that did not last.)

Since then it has become a local museum.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Guided tour :
http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/bourgogne-franche-comte/doubs/l-entreprise-ropp-toujours-dans-son-jus-980056.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparrow, a good vintage French pipe for forty bucks. Sounds like a deal to me. Congrats.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Sparrow, that's a nice looking Billiard there. I have my eye on a smooth Canadian. One question tho....does your pipe have the corked mortise setup or a standard vulcanite in briar mortise? I've had Ropps with the cork before and they always crumble with age. I'll grab that Canadian if it's a standard setup.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
No response here, so I called SPC yesterday and had them pull one off the shelf (a smooth canadian). No cork, standard briar/vulcanite setup. And she said the pipe looked to have a shellac finish.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's an interesting piece John! Any idea about the age of it?
80 years comes to mind, based on a previous posting of it and someone's opinion. Just saw your post this a.m. and have to dash out. So I doubt I can find the thread before I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.