PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Howdy all. Just thought I'd share my experience. I recently bought an old BBB Own Make Virgin billiard that had seen some wear and tear over the years but fundamentally was in good shape. I cleaned her up and decided to recommision her with some St. Bruno. Now I've only had a few bowls of ole St. in the past and it always seemed to have a little bite or uncomfortable spiciness on my tongue by the end of the smoke.
However, I've had 3 bowls of SB over the last 5 days and every one of them have been smooth and bite free in this BBB. Also, have any of you ever bought an old pipe and had that smell of some old-timey tobacco come from it, htat you just loved? I know it's all subjective but I have this one meer that whenever you open the case this wonderful scent of whatever tobacco the dude smoked in there is just forever a part of that pipe. I thought it must have been some kind of aromatic but not necessarily so, at least not the kind we usually think of.
I detected no leftover scent in this briar upon receiving it but each bowl of SB that I have had so far brings up a scent that is very reminiscent of what I smelled in that meer. It isn't always there but from time to time I will notice it and think how odd that is yet how wonderful. So, i'll have to have SB in a different pipe to see if it was all in my head or possibly just a connection between that pipe and SB from the past. It's just things like this that make this hobby so interesting and enjoyable to me. Thanks for listening.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Very interesting indeed. I’ve never had anything quite like that happen to me. I’m just glad to hear that you’ve found a pipe that will let you smoke the Bruno in without sacrificing your tongue in the process. The more I smoke St. Bruno the more I like it! I just crave it these days and it’s become my all day smoke.
Congrats on the BBB, they are great pipes. What shape is it? I only have one but it’s an excellent smoker, it’s a bent bulldog.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I've tried the St.Bruno RR and the flake. Honestly I like the RR the best for some reason(I think it in a far off way reminds me of my beloved Condor RR)...

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Small world. Yesterday I had my first bowl of St. Bruno flake, smoked in an old GBD. I very much enjoyed the SB and while smoking it wondered if the pipe had ever smoked it before in the hands of previous owners. Either way it was a great combination of pipe and leaf.
Given that SB was a very common blend in years past there’s a reasonable chance that your pipe had seen the blend before.
If only our pipes could tell their stories.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Hawky I don't know what shape it is, no number on it. But it is a billiard. And yes I was relieved to know I could smoke SB without any bite, because I love it.
Weezell, I have only smoked the RR version, and it is mighty good. I have some tins of the flakes but have not popped one yet. Probably won't for a few years.
Renfield, I have often thought it would be cool to know the past lives of the estates we purchase and what was the main blend that was smoked in it. I can easily see SB, or Condor having been smoked in it
Paulie, yeah with the price of the pouches being roughly $6.50 less than the tins in U.S$, I see no reason to buy the tins, especially if you're on a tight budget

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I once picked up and estate that I just could not get a floral lakeland style scent out of by cleaning, and sniffing the bowl was nauseating. I finally gave up and tried to smoke the ghost out with CH. Turns out, I like lakeland toby.
I have since learned to embrace ghosted pipes.
Doc

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve gotten some estates that were definitely no stranger to deer tongue. A friendly ghost but even a salt treatment and thorough cleaning wouldn’t always exorcise it. Eventually it would fade, occasionally popping up unexpectedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.