PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
If you walk into any English News Agents shop the liklihood is that the only pipe tobacco's you will find is either St. Bruno, Condor or Clan, reading all the Posts and threads from all you USA Pipesters is that you are not all keen on your over the counter tobacco's, I would like to say that our 3 main over the counter tobaccos in the UK are in my humble opinion excellent tobacco's that have served the UK pipe smoker well for many decades and have all been excellent starter tobacco's for many a pipester and many experienced pipesters continue to smoke them. We have been well served in the UK.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I'd second what Tobakenist has to say. Personally St. Bruno is my favourite of the OTC blends we have here. The only slight problem is it can sometimes be a little dry as the turnover of stock isn't what it used to be.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Well, I personally like several of the US OTC's. I have smoked, and enjoyed Carter Hall, Sugar Barrel, Walnut, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and Prince Albert. I do love the Premium blends as well, and smoke them regularly as well. I do have to say that the OTC's you guys have over there are very good as well. One of my all time favorite tobacco blends is Revor Plug. I haven't had the pleasure of smoking Condor,Clan, or St. Bruno yet.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think some of the OTC burleys are excellent, for a low-cost blend. I have enjoyed Prince Al, Walnut, Kentucky Club, and Granger. Prince Al Cherry Vanilla and Vanilla Cavendish are the only low-cost aromatics I have found that I will smoke, simply because they aren't heavily cased.

Although we don't have the selection of OTC blends we did when I started smoking, there are still a lot of them. Some are very good, some are not.

Incidentally, when I was in Scotland two summers ago, there were pouches of MacBaren blends in the tobacco department of the small grocery stores where we stopped to buy rolls, meat and cheese almost every day for our picnic lunches. Not too many newsstands out in the Western Highlands or the Isles, though. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.