Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well,Just in the days I got two pouches of older batch of St Bruno RR from Spain, it says it was manufactured by Imperial tobacco and now when I'm comparing it with the current Mc Baren incarnations I only can say this Spanish stuff is inferior (weaker&bald,less nicotine)but the cut is pretty much similar,though tobacco itself of this Imperial product seems being somewhat darker.Has anybody had the similar experience?My understanding is that even in Spain St Bruno is today produced by Barens not Imperial.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My understanding is that Spain has older stock for whatever reason but I’ve heard that time and time again. If it was produced by Imperial that means it dates back before 2006 when Mac Baren took over. You are the first person that I’ve heard describe the older stuff as inferior though. I think it all depends on what you were introduced to, if you are used to smoking the Mac Baren version than the Imperial version is going to taste “off” and vice versa. I would love to see some pictures of the pouch if you can post some?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
MacBaren's has been making St Bruno since 2006, and the containers still show an "Ogden's of Liverpool" logo. Where does it say the tobacco was made? In any event, a 12 year old pouch could go pretty flat without being jarred.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Mr.Hawky and Sable, well as for posting pictures,I'm kinda handicap in this regards, now to the pouch design, these pouches are much smaller,plain plastic pouches with Spanish warning notes,(no pictures)then it says,Ogdens of Liverpool-Made in the EU and additionally if you're not completely satisfied,please return the pouch and contents to: St Bruno,Apartado de Correos 54231 28080 Madrid-ES

production code number starts at 5043

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I remember there was questions about Spanish Condor, but then it was confirmed that it was absolutely the same. Doubt St. Bruno will be different.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Spanish market St Bruno sounds like it's also a MacBaran's product. I've found their St Bruno to be inconsistent with regards to the toppings. When I first tried the "legal" US imports against what I'd been sent from the UK, the topping seemed to be much lighter in application. And when I AB smoked legal VS smuggled gifted, the topping in the legal stuff was noticeably less present. Still, overall, good stuff.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, it sounds like it was made by Mac Baren cause they do change the packaging slightly depending on the region, America is the only market that gets a tinned version of the Flake, lucky us (although it’s about $4 more than the pouches of RR so I mainly smoke the RR) but in your first post you said it says that it was manufactured by Imperial Tobacco on the pouch right? That’s where I’m confused.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Sable: yes,very true the toppings on this is somewhat less applied,now I'm comparing it with the pouch which came here fromU.S

Hawky: Sorry,my apologies for any confusion, Yes,The package readings says: Imperial Tobacco-Made in The Eu

Me too,I'm rather preferring the RR version for convenience sake. Now this stuff is available in Germany in flake form whereas in many of central eastern European countries and in Russia it comes both in flake & RR version

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I had to order two pouches of the RR since I have only tried the tin, (the Macbaren version) I really enjoy the flake. I barely notice the topping, IMHO it is a great smoke! :puffy:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just a short notice for added information,now when My friend is back form his sejour' in Spain he handed me two fresh pouches of St Bruno's and yes I see it still says made by Imperial Tobacco somewhere in the Eu,whereas my UK-U.S(RR) and Germany/Denmark flake tins are by Mc Baren factories.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
Paulie, your two pouches must still be before 2006.

This is a pouch of St. Bruno RR bought 2 weeks ago in a small coastal village in Majorca.
st-bruno-the-spanish1-600x449.jpg

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.