PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
LHS Certified Purex shape #95​
I received this pipe looking more like a bruised tomato. It was chewed up and beat up, but this shape of LHS doesn't show up very often. I was sniped on ebay last time I seen one for sale.
dPk6umBl.jpg

2dtxi2ml.jpg

qXok1I9l.jpg

I started off by spending about an hour with a propane torch, butter knife, and wet rag, steaming the dents out, followed by sanding the scratches from the rest of the briar.
aRsnSPKl.jpg

tC5lrxll.jpg

Next thing was the stem rebuild.
fUiDgktl.jpg

XI2Upirl.jpg

Fiebings dark brown with a hint of oxblood.
JahnIa7l.jpg

The last step after waxing was a fresh carbon bowl coating.
ud5dVzNl.jpg

Bfjx5iBl.jpg

8aFKCONl.jpg

qOgPmEdl.jpg

DLmzZ04l.jpg

iTrnXZvl.jpg

GYVkjmal.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well done as always! The squashed tomato is a very unique and pleasant shape. :puffy:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
You never disappoint. This is one that is worth a bookmark. What a cool pipe and even better transformation. I would not believe it possible without all the before/after pictures.

K

klause

Dave, that is absolutely amazing - my jaw just hit my desk (and I dribbled coffee everywhere - good job there's no-one else in the office yet)!!!
That is a thing of beauty, and your skill, care and attention are obvious to see in the end result.
Astounding, and stunning - in equal measure.
:clap:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a fantastic shape, good grab and save!

I've ditched the propane torch and knife for dents. I found a household iron set on HIGH and a wet cloth do a much better job and are way more convenient to use (hint: DON'T use what your wife may call "good" washcloths for this work). The iron generates 3x's the steam of a heated butter knife and of course you don't have the constant relighting of the torch.

Awesome work on that missing stem piece.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Great pipe and awesome resto job. It looks quite like a slimmed down Brebbia Fat Bob post refurb.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Stellar work, Dave. Between you and George, i'm inclined to start going apeshit on broken and beatdown pipes on ebay and keeping you guys busy, lol. Keep up the good work, i'll def keep you in mind for any future resto's, buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.