PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I don't know if this comparison makes any sense but the descriptions sound very similar.
I'm looking for something that maybe comparable to EMP that I have smoked. I'm looking to try EMP but I want to find out if it's as lacking in flavor as I find Squadron Leader to be. As if that's the case I don't want to even bother trying EMP.
Does anyone have an input on this?
Thanks

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Awesome thanks for the reply Roth. I had found SL to be completely lacking in taste and was worried EMP would be the same.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I really like most oriental leaning tobacco's. Stuff like the Yenidje Highlander, Magnum Opus, etc so I think I should like EMP.
I've got it in my cart and will let you know what I think. I'm definitely going to be added C&D Good Morning to my spreadsheet. I've got Star of the East on that list also that I need to get around to.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I know many puffers enjoy Squadron Leader, but I'm not a fan; I don't like the taste (what there is of it).
:rofl:
I agree, Roth. I bought a tin of SL and help it along by mixing it with CH.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Had some EMP this morning. As Roth said, EMP is mostly VAs and Orientals, with just a wee touch of Latakia. It's a delicate smoke, but the flavor is definitely "there." I have to confess, when I first started smoking, my palate was so used to cigars that I couldn't tell the difference between EMP and 965 -- and I had a really hard time coaxing out the flavor.
EMP is good stuff, but I find it strange that SqLeader seemed flavorless. If you felt that way about SQLeader, I'm wondering whether you won't have similar feelings about EMP. But it's only 8-10 bucks for a tin or half that for a 1oz sample of the bulk -- and you can always trade it if it doesn't suit.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Personally, I have smoked several tins of EMP and many tins of Squadron Leader and there is no comparison; Squadron Leader wins hands down. I do not think that you can beat the taste of the Virginias in a Gawith blend then added with flavorful Orientals topped off with a wee bit of Latakia to round out the taste, yes I said taste, of Squadron Leader. This must be why the blend so many tobaccos since everyone has deferent taste buds.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@salewis: You of course are right. Everyone does have different taste buds. I like a few blends that would make others (and a billy goat) puke. SL is a popular blend for a reason, the reason just escapes me. :mrgreen:

Dec 24, 2012
Look, I smoke mostly VA blends, but reading this thread has me wondering if I have some serious issues. I actually like Squardron Commander a lot - that buttery taste is just really good to my taste buds. If a gun was put to my head - EMP or SL, you decide? - I admit that I would choose SL.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
H&H Daybreak. Russ blended it in the style of EMP. I have smoked it and it is a very nice light english.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Look, I smoke mostly VA blends, but reading this thread has me wondering if I have some serious issues.
When I first started, I mostly smoked English blends because I didn't "get" and didn't have the technique for VAs. Then I went through a long period of smoking VAs, Vapers and Burleys almost exclusively. But lately I've sort of been rediscovering English blends. They make for a really nice change of pace from VA or burley blends that usually have higher nicotine and, in the case of VAs, a richer, more tannic taste.
I also find that I relax more, sometimes, with English blends. Whereas VAs and Burleys have a pretty constant, full-on flavor, English blends can be a bit more symphonic, forcing you to slow down and enjoy the subtle changes and variations that occur while smoking a bowl.
Like all things pipe-related, I think most of us go through phases, sometimes long ones which we expect to be permanent. For me, rediscovering Latakia blends has been yet one more pleasant surprise.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I smoked a 50g tin of Squadron Leader in less then a week, which is quite a feat for me. I was very disapointed when I smoked the last bits of ribbon last night. So it could be said that I'm a supporter of the Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader.
I have never smoked Early morning, though I always hear good things. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.