PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Couple years ago I bought some Bulk Squadron Leader, fell in love with it and then had to divorce it because it became "Yuck"! :cry:
While the love affair was in full swing I acquired a tin, hearing the tin was better than bulk. Needing a light English to start out the day, I figured I'd try the tin. Suffer through it if I didn't like it, or order more if I enjoyed it.....This stuff is amazing, the bulk doesn't even seem to be the same tobacco.
I've heard around the camp fire that Sqaudron Leader has a floral topping, I can't really detect it, and am wondering if this floral note is really Izmir. Izmir has a nutty sweet and sour note and I'm getting this with Squadron Leader, maybe there is a top note that is lost through drying, I don't know, Was wondering if any SL vets out there can help me with this.
Also Does the 250g box taste as good as the tin or this considered the bulk?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Perdurabo, IMHO the flavor is definitely from the Orientals. Could be Izmir.
As for bulk v tin. 250g is bulk.
I can smoke SL out of the tin all day and it's delicious, but the 250g bulk needs time in the jar. A couple of years ago I purchased some SL at a BM and smoked the entire tin in two days. I loved it. So I ordered two 250g boxes. Smoked some as I was jarring it and was so disappointed. I couldn't believe it. I jarred it and bought more tins. The bulk sat for a year before I dug into it again. Nirvana!!.
Bottom line, for me, age the bulk and smoke the tin. You're welcome.

Jun 27, 2016
Based on my tin of Squad Leader, the most distinctive flavor is a Eucalyptus flavor. I get the same from my D&R Blenders Bench Macedonian, so I'd say there's some Macedonian in there, which I have heard before, in addition to probably some other Orientals. I've also heard about the tinned SL being much better than the bulk, which I took peoples word for and stuck with buying a tin. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I do get a slight eucalyptus, I can see that. There's also a nuttiness that really asserts itself at first light.
At anytime this thread can turn into All the things I love about SL or Know about its product or somewhere abouts.......
I would like to opine about Tuskegee Airmen and the Original Squadron Leader, I have a feeling that these two tobaccos may be closely related as far as Tuskegee may have been an attempt on a match. What say All?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Can't help with SL bulk but I do agree with AshD in general. SG bulk has never been the same as the tin experience for me until it reaches about 2 years of aging. This has been the case with SJF, FVF and BBF.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I have smoked SL for years and have never detected a topping.

But it does have a flavor unique among balkans. I have always assumed it was the oriental leaf.

While SL has an immediately recognizable nose, I also find it fades and loses its strength in an open tin

after a while.

Jun 27, 2016
backwoodsjack

While SL has an immediately recognizable nose, I also find it fades and loses its strength in an open tin

after a while.
Put it a canning jar, it will keep better. The tin note is interesting though. Very strong "stewed fruit" for a few seconds, then that dies down and the oriental tobacco leaf odor comes up. A little light leather odor from the Latakia is usually always in the background. The stewed fruit doesn't really show up as a strong flavor during the smoke, which I appreciate.
:puffy:

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I dont know how to describe that something different that SL has, and the stuff I have tried and enjoyed is the bulk, which was refilled with the 250gram. (I know that for a fact since I work at the same shop)
I will point out that I just cracked a tin of spectre, the blend based on the latakia cigars, and something about the sour oriental notes reminded me a bit of SL.
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.