PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I'm halfway through what I believe to be my third bowl of this tobacco. I think the more I smoke this one the more I will like it. I didn't like the first bowl at all. The second bowl was ok. This third bowl is even better. I do find that the Orientals make my tongue tingle a bit. But the further into the bowl I get the more the various notes merge into a cohesive whole. I suspect most of you have smoked this one already. I have a number of English blends. This one is uniquely different from all the others I've tried.
Does Gawith specialize in bringing their own twist to all the tobaccos they produce? I have a tin of SG Navy Flake that should be here on Wednesday. I tried some samples of Grousemoor and 1792 and didn't warm to either of them. I will say this - they produce uncommon tobaccos - at least the ones I've smoked.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you go to their web site you'll see that their equipment is ancient. They've been in the business for over 200 years and follow the original processes today. That in itself makes them unique. They also use very high quality tobacco in their blends. They may not be for everyone but all should try them once or twice. You don't stay in business that long without doing something right.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I find the tobaccos of SG to be very interesting, having some tasty if unusual flavors at times. I smoke Squadron Leader quite often, as it's one of my favorites from them. I quite like the slightly odd fruity/grassy flavor of Grousemoor too. Both of these tobaccos I was pleased with at the first bowl I smoked, and many months later, I still find them in my regular rotation of tobaccos. Part of that may be because I not only like the flavors in these tobaccos, but they aren't too heavy with nicotine.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
rsuninv sent me a ton of it and I've been smoking it all weekend. I'm starting to become a big fan of it. It's got that nice sweet mild English taste to it, but about mid bowl it tends to get hazy on me. I'm noticing in smaller bowls, I get a much more pronounce Oriental taste/smell while in a larger bowl, it's more blended together.
I haven't decided if I'm going to put it on the buy list, but so far I've been very happy with it and am strongly leaning towards it. Just a nice mild sweet English. Fantastic on the retrohale.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Me a fan of SL and SG as a whole. Their blends might be diversify but each camp have their own fans. Try a few more, especially the ropes. Weird but wonderful. Like smoking a piece of history.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Add me to those who love Squadron Leader. It has an interesting leathery flavor/aroma that I haven't found in any other English I've tried. It seems especially evident to me when retro-haling/snorking. It is very unique.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Smoking a bowl right now with the morning coffee. I bought a few ounces of it in bulk. Not sure if it is different out of the tin but I find this tasty and not too overbearing. I am a fan of many of the SG tobaccos.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
What I'm finding is that my tongue does not like Orientals or Perique. Can't do VaPers. And as much as I enjoy the other tobaccos in this blend, the Orientals tingle my tongue just a bit too much. Balkans pretty much destroy me for a week.
So now I know: Virginias, Latakia, Burley - these all work for me. But spicier tobaccos just don't. At least at this time they don't.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I believe they use a lot of African Virginias

and I believe that combined with how they

Process leaf accounts for their signature

taste. I don't often smoke Sam Gawith but

I do enjoy the line as a whole.

Mike S.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Just had my first bowl of it myself. I've enjoyed it so far but I can say that Gawith tins come WET. I've had the tin top off for two whole days and it's still damp to the touch...

apocrisiarius

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
I'm working my way through my first tin of squadron leader at the moment. It's a nice tobacco and I enjoy the subtlety of the blend. I feel it lacks something, which I can't quite put my finger on. I'd buy it again and happily smoke it but I don't think it'll become a regular part of the inventory.
Still, a quality tobacco and I can see why it's so popular.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I'm not a fan. I find SL to have a soapy taste that I just can't get past. But, as with all things taste related, if you like it, that's all that really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.