PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Kind of a weird topic, but I was just out having a bowl and like I always do, I was spitting here and there, especially after a relight. I started thinking, is this normal? I almost always smoke outside and I always end up spitting while I smoke because I don't want to swallow my saliva with ashy taste or whatever it may be.
Do most people spit here and there? Or am I a redneck?

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I don't spit. Alot of guys at work smoke cheap 'rez darts' and they spit constantly. We also work in a pretty dusty environment and that causes alot of ppl to spit too. To think about it now, when I smoked cigarettes I spat alot but not anymore.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I never understood those who spit when smoking either cigars, cigarettes and/or a pipe. I always thought that those who spit when they smoked cigarettes didn't know how to smoke, and the same opinion goes to pipe smoking. I have NEVER spit when I used to smoke cigarettes, and I don't feel the need to now when I smoke my pipes. No offense but I think the only people who should spit are the chaw chewers. If you find you're spitting (I'm assuming it's a regular build up of saliva and not sucking in ash), then I think you're smoking too fast and too hard. If you're sucking in ash and need to spit, well, that's a no brainer when I tell you that you're definitely doing something wrong. The build up of saliva is because your saliva glands are being bombarded with something it is not used to and it strains...producing excess saliva. Sipping will help alleviate the need to spit. Also, hydrate when you smoke and you will find that the need to spit will dissipate quite quickly. Changing your smoking habits will make for a more pleasurable experience and I think the general public will also appreciate you not having to spit...

Just my opinion.

Shutterbug

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah spitting isn't gentleman behaviour, and gentlemen smoke pipes. Only if I happen to get some ash in the mouth for some reason, but then usually I'll spit into a napkin. I'll spit if I have a phlem build up from a cough, but that's purely for health reasons. You can get fined something like 300$ for spitting where I live.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
i have noticed that certain blends or tobacco's tend to make me produce more saliva when I smoke than others, not sure why that is either.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Have not thought about this topic for some time and realized I don't spit anymore. I probably would if I smoke cigars like I used to. But, ever since I switched to my pipes, I now smoke indoors more than out. So no spitting.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Interesting stuff. I'll say it right now, I don't give a crap about being a gentleman while smoking my pipe, I don't wear a suit and recline in a lazyboy, I'm usually wearing tattered clothes, sleeveless shirts and haven't shaved in a week or so, haha, I've never concerned myself with being a gentleman in that sense, but I did think something was wrong. I don't know if its because I'm outside and it seems ok or if I was doing something wrong. It must be due to how fast I smoke, I've slowed down how fast I smoke but I know I still smoke faster than I 'should.' Its just the way I do it, but I'm going to have to work at slowing it down more. I still get flavour out of the tobacco, but regardless. I don't actually want to spit here and there when smoking a pipe.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Cigars really do it to me, my pipe not so much. Although when I started a few of the hotter burning aro blends that I tried did result in some excessive salivating.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Hey loseth. When you do it are you drinking something?
When I dabbled in smoking cigars I found myself wanting to spit IF I wasn't drinking something. Not so much with pipes.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, this forum sure covers all the topics.
I'd rather just drool than hock spittle in public (at my age drooling is acceptable behavior)... Now, if I was having some fun and aiming for a spitoon that was within my own personal spittin' range, that'd be a different story. In private, I might rapid fire some loose strands of tobacco every now and then. In fact, I have a few dried strands stuck to my computer screen right now. But eventually I'll get out the windex and clean the little buggers off. But hey, I digress.
No, spitting in public is not cool behavior for a pipe smoker or anyone else for that matter. IMO, of course.
Best,

Pipestud

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
One of my body technicians spits constantly. He dips Copenhagen. His personal hygiene is poor. If he wasn't good at his job, I would remove him from my shop immediately. If he ever spat around someone's vehicle, I would remove him from my shop immediately. It's just disgusting.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I dip Copenhagen too. Been tryin to quit for years, maybe once my grad school stuff is over with. Only a few more weeks. Have quit successfully a few times for 6 months at a time, usually something really stressful happens and I'm back to it.
Been dippin since I was almost 16, so that's been about 9yrs. Only spit for the first 3yrs. Man up and swallow. My father told me it's more polite that way. Even thought it's alot to stomach at first, you stop salivating after a few minutes. If you spit, your body produces more saliva.
Funny, I used to make fun of dippers in my undergrad classes, for carrying their "baby bottles" around with them everywhere. It's a filthy habit.
As far as smoking a pipe, I've gotten the urge to spit. I have a pipe that seems to make me drool alot. It's kinda heavy, and I heard that clenching makes you drool more. I keep a few pipe cleaners with me, shove them down towards the bowl to soak up the juice. And I just man up and swallow whatever I got.
I've tried softy bits to reduce the amount I have to clench, but it just seems to make me drool more. As a result, that pipe has become my "sit down, relax, and enjoy" pipe. I keep the lighter ones for smoking when I'm out and about.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Never spit with my pipe, although as a cigarette smoker I can tell you that myself and many others do spit when smoking cigarettes.
-Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.