PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I've seen a few videos where whiskey was used to clean the bowl. What are some of the spirits you have used to clean your pipe? One fella used salt and a cleaner designed for pipes...could you use kosher salt and brandy or scotch?
Just wonderin'.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
When it comes to spirits, the higher the proof the better - if you have access to Everclear (Clear Springs, Moonshine, etc.) or overproof (151 proof) spirits they will work the best. Otherwise, I would recommend using 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. I would recommend picking up a medicine dropper, as it will allow you to ensure you don't get any of your chosen spirit on the finish (potentially causing damage).
Some people use salt, however, I find that simply filling your bowl with a cotton-ball or two works, and doesn't leave as much of a mess to deal with. If you go with salt, I've heard that rock salt is the way to go over kosher; couldn't tell you why, it's just what I've heard - either way, I would avoid anything iodized. I also like to stick a fluffy pipe-cleaner down the shank when I'm performing an alcohol cleaning, I am always surprised at how much gunk it picks up.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I use an ad hoc mixture of Polish rectified spirits (96% alcohol), Bombay Sapphire gin, and honey for my regular cleaning & sweetening routine (to great effect, I might add), and straight rectified spirits for thorough cleaning & retort use. Salt will never go in my bowls now that I've refined the retort process.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I was thinking brandy or scotch...heck, even Canadian rye! It's not like Canadian rye is drinkable. lol

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I think I'll skip the salt. The idea of using just doesn't seem appealing. I'll go with brandy and cotton balls.
Nothing beats a pipe and brandy or maybe whiskey, or maybe wine...perhaps port, or even sherry...no brandy, vodka, eh...gin.
Whatever, it all goes pretty well together.

ernst

Lurker
Nov 13, 2011
Düsseldorf Germany
I am producing my own wine and I am destilling the remainder from the pressed wine and destill it.

This gives me 40 litres of alcohol with a strength of 80%

I add just some drops into the pipe which is filled with large grains of sea salt.

That works fine if I remove a large part of the coal with a reamer.
For just smoothing the taste I use medicine graded coal, fill it in the pipe and than I put the pipe into the kitchen oven which is set to 70C for 5 hours. Before I remove the mouth piece.

Use the chance when the wife is out :)
Ernst

Status
Not open for further replies.