PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Well this morning I cracked open yet another tin from my most recent TAD. What can I say, I will never ever be able to keep a tin of anything a long time before trying it, I have to test drive right away like a kid I guess.
Spilman’s Mixture is suppose to be an old time blend that has not been available for over 70yrs. Why? I have no idea. It comes in a 7oz tin with an old fashion label which right away starts you thinking about days past.
When you open the tin you immediately smell a rather pleasant aroma, maybe similar to a highlander scotch whisky. The tobacco is loose, various colours of brown (dark to light) and packs easily.
I should have let this dry for 30 minutes I think because I did have some trouble getting it to stay lit at first but after 3 relights it was fine.
First taste is sweet and I mean sweet, you would think there was a flavouring added but it is suppose to be an all natural blend Burley, Virginia, Latakia, and Turkish.
Room note is quite pleasant and smokes smooth, very smooth like Frog Morton but unlike the Frog the Latakia is not very pronounced. I’m assuming the sweet taste is from the Virginia’s and it appears and disappears during the whole bowl.
Nicotine hit is another winner for people like myself that don’t like high N tobaccos to much, so it would be a good choice to smoke when ever you might want to smoke EMP except unlike EMP it doesn’t have that cig smell I don’t like. (which is great).
I admit I was a bit worried I was buying a 7oz tin on a whim but like the Frog Morton I can see me smoking this pretty often.
This another keeper and one of those tobaccos that you just sit, smoke, melt off into the zone for 45 minutes.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Nice review. I'v been thinking abaout trying this. Down the road, let me know if you want to trade a sample - just enough to throw in a standard envelope. No pressure though, I know it's fun to work through an entire tin sometimes!

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
nice review Barkar! apreciated, and Stogie, thanx for sending out the Magic inch pipe. Looks like asuperb specimen . Nice birdseye. I checked the Carey website & there is nothing as nice as this one coming to Papa. Great price and great pipe. Gracias senor. Aint it funny how tastes in pipe tobacco vary. Barkar I couldn' smoke a baccy without high nic hit. I wonder what the difference in tastes depend on??? The quest continues.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I wonder what the difference in tastes depend on???

Ya its odd too because years ago when I smoked cigs I smoked the strongest I could find, but with the pipe I'm more intoslow n easy.
Can you get that from any of the forum sponsors?

4noggins has it

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
First taste is sweet and I mean sweet, you would think there was a flavouring added but it is suppose to be an all natural blend Burley, Virginia, Latakia, and Turkish.
barkar,
The reality is, if you ever smoked "raw tobacco" you would probably leave the pipe smoking community. All tobaccos are flavored (cased and/or topped). It is a matter of "degree" that will distinguish if the blend is to be considered aromatic or non-aromatic. The IRC blends are all flavored. The flavors are significant and complex. No one will duplicate those complex sauces. Most of their blends carry their signature aromatic at least to some degree. That is my experience. All blends are flavored to some extent and Spillman is no exception in my opinion. That being said, is not a bad thing. It is reality becuase tobacco is simply not palatable in a raw state. By the way, I like IRC blends in general, including Three Star Blue which did inspire me to create CBB along with "London Dock" (now extinct). So, I do respect Spillman and all the other IRC blends. But, I did notice a big difference when Altadis took over the mixing and blending. It is just no longer the same as when Iwan Ries blended in the old wash-tub.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

gunner777

Lurker
Oct 2, 2010
Missouri
I've been smoking Spilman Mixture for a few years now and it's become a regular. My tobacconist and friend is in his late 80's and used to smoke the original many years ago. He says it pretty much smokes and taste the same. He recommended it so strongly I tried it and that was all she wrote:) It has a great taste, is very smooth and easy on the palate. It burns long and slow with a nice grey ash.

I buy mine in the 2.5 Oz. tin. If you haven't tried it you'll give yourself a real treat if you give it a try!

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I believe Spilman Mixture is only available from Iwan Ries in Chicago; at leats, that's where I got it from. I have smoked it many times, and found it to be a mild English blend; very pleasant and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.