PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I got to chance to try E. Hoffman Company's Spilman Mixture at our last meeting thanks to the generosity of our members. It was described as a mild English blend. Mild English blends are my favorites so I had to dive right in and try a bowl. The tin is described as "complex English blend of Virginia, Latakia, Turkish and cubed Burley" by the manufacturer. I don't smoke a lot of blends with burley in it. I think I may be missing out and may need to expand my horizons. Mild English is a very appropriate description of this tobacco. More accurate would be a pleasantly mild English tobacco. The Latakia, Virginia, and Burley tobaccos are very well balanced to create a tasty smoke that reminded of toasted nuts and summer campfires. The Turkish is the one component that was almost lost in the background. This might be a good thing, as too much Turkish would upset the balance already achieved in this tobacco. This may not be a smoke that completely knocks your socks off but it makes for a great all day, anytime smoke. I can't wait to try it first thing in the morning with a nice cup of coffee. Overall 4 our 5 stars. I will be ordering a pound or two to add to my cellar.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I got some as a gift once. I enjoyed it. Not worth a repeat for me, but I was sure a lot of fellas would like it.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I smoked up a tin of this. Ordered a coupla more. Leaving them in the cellar for now. It didn't just completely overwhelm me, but I liked it enough to order more and see what happens down the road.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've this one plus their Distinguished Gentleman. I liked both. There is an "old timey" cache about them that I found appealing, like a trip back to the '50s. Nothing extraordinary but rather a comfortable smoke nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.