PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steampipe

Lurker
Feb 13, 2018
Accidentally spilled water into my new cob pipe bowl. Is it damaged? Currently have a tissue in it to sit overnight. Not sure how long the water had been in it.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Seriously, just let it dry out, it will be fine. I nearly died laughing from the guy relating it to a cellphone.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Sit it in a sunny window. Cobs suck up moisture while smoking and then evaporate it when you rest them, it's what they do. Don't come back to it for a week or two. It'll be cleaner, that's about it.
I've read threads about boiling a cob for deep cleaning. I just remove the stem, fill it with isopropanol for a few seconds, use pipe cleaners, *then run hot tap water through the pipe*. Then let dry for a long time.

I run water through all of my pipes after smoking. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a pipe wet.
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you'll post more than just this one thing.
Funny story, we had a guy at our pipe club that I suspect that everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie. You know the type... anyways, he was telling us about this expensive pipe he once had, it was glorious, and the best smoker in the world, and the rarest, and the most expensive... did I mention how expensive it was? anyways, we took the bait... "where is it now?"

" I dropped it in the water while fishing."

And, I just said, "and..."

He didn't really have a response as to why that ended the pipe, he just stood there, jaw agape... thinking.
Why would anyone think that getting a pipe wet is a bad thing? Did you expect it to dissolve? explode? split open? Did you think that getting it wet would make it never burn tobacco again? Briar doesn't even absorb water. Anyways, I just thought that the story was funny. Funny people. We all knew he was a chronic liar anyways... we all knew he couldn't shut up long enough to go fishing anyways. Da-dum- Tshhh! :puffy:

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
There should be no problem. Pipes are frequently used to transport water.
:rofl:
I agree with everyone else and it will be fine. There is too much scaremongering about getting pipes wet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You can thank the marketing folks from the big pipe companies who were also selling magical liquids to "refresh" "clean" and "restore" pipes. Water, alcohol, and some sugars and flavors....

steampipe

Lurker
Feb 13, 2018
Thanks all for the responses! I guess my only worry was I figured out how long the pipe had been filled with water. It had been 2 hours. Just to be safe, I will let it dry up for some time.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
If people saw how wet we get pipes whilst making them, maybe they would understand. Heh. All those glorious grain photos of a pipe in mid process, I'll give you one guess why the grain pops so much in the photo but not always on the table, it's wet. Then there is this little thing that we call wet sanding. I won't even get into how oil curing works.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
No worse that smoking a fresh flake of FVF. [:puffy:]

Seriously, I've done it many it times. Maybe run a paper towel through it first. This aint rocket science.
Think about it for a second. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.