PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I got thinking about this after seeing Ashdiggers new spigots...nice pipes by the way.

These might seem like silly questions. I'm a little confused, so here are a few questions.
1. Are spigots any pipe with the silver piece on the shank and also on the stem?

2. Are they exclusive to Peterson pipes?

3. Is there a purpose to them or just decorations?
I did a Google search and it seems like they're all Petersons.
And for any newbies out there...if you don't ask, you won't learn.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
A few other companies produce them. Here's a Savinelli:
002-033-33337.jpg

And here's a Meerschaum:
Meerschaum-Pipes-ALTINAY-4-11-500x357.jpg

To me, a Silver Spigot is any pipe that uses silver to create the pieces you see at the mortise and tenon and the metal slides into metal. Some "look"like spigots, but are in fact just a plastic tenon with a silver wrap above the connection. Those to me are not silver spigots. They should all be like a military mount, such that you can take it apart while still hot.

Jan 8, 2013
Spigots are a throwback to the repairs soldiers would make to their pipes, usually using spent shell casings, when their stems were broken, during WWI, and again during WWII. Basically a military mount as CSW mentioned above, which was the same concept, but reinforced with the metal. Other companies make them, but it's one of those things Peterson is well known for.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks. That clears things up. I do like the way they look. Another pipe gets added to the bucket list. :puffy:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
If you haven’t checked out the Nording Valhalla Spigots, those are damn pretty as well. Don’t see them around much, and the spigot sadly isn’t silver, but I’d buy one of those in a heartbeat if the price was right.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Spigots can be made of all kinds of metal. Silver is nice and pretty. It's also soft and pliable which is probably why it's so common. I have one. Peterson. It smokes well, it's pretty, yet I'd really like one with stainless steel or titanium though. Or aluminum. Those metals seem much more functional.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lots of makers produced spigot pipes, the invention of which precedes both World Wars.
The traditional spigot shape is a squared off metal cap on the stem and metal wrapping the end of the stem. The result is a metal to metal join. There are also half spigots which lack the metal lining of the mortise while retaining the squared off shank cap and the metal wrapped stem cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.