PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Could someone explain how the spigot/army mount? And are they the same thing or different, and why?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
From all the ones I have seen, they're essentially the same thing. You have a metal mortise attached to the shank of the pipe that you then insert the metal tenon from the stem into. I have one at home that's a Nording Churchwarden. I believe that the terms basically describe the same style of fitting, but every brand is different. I think Peterson calls there's a spigot.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Both are 'army mounts', the difference is a spigot has a metal tenon. They are both designed to be pulled apart while hot.
I love army mounts, specifically silver spigots. Also, all Peterson System pipes are army mounts.
346xf8h.jpg

I have a small collection of silver spigots, The one on the right is gold mounted.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think spigot is a fit with metal on both stem and shank. Army mount only has metal on the shank. I have seen Dunhills and Castellos with acrylic army mounts as well, so I guess it doesn't have to be metal.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
weren't these developed during WWII, when soldiers needed to pull the pipe apart and pocket them when they were called to action?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Then you have pseudo military mounts. A military stem that goes into a briar shank.
20180911_090443.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The story I've heard is that a stem broke out of a shank and the shank was reinforced with a casing so the pipe could still be smoked.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Okay, this is the part I never understood about the whole "reinforced with a bullet casing" thing. A casing has one end closed, where the primer is located. So, how does a guy in a trench take the back part of a bullet casing off? You need a hole that goes all the way through, right?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
So army mount is reinforced shank with friction fit stem, spigot is metal on metal. Not always metal but reinforced. The "psuedo" is a traditional tenon without friction fit. The story is likely BS, as many of these stories are. But pipes are often made with a casing anyway and it is awesome.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have been looking for a small army mount for years. Under 5” with a small bowl. Probably going to be custom made.

Status
Not open for further replies.