PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I saw a couple of spigot pipes on SmokingPipes, so I was wondering how they work and smoke, and what makes them special.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have two and they always make me feel a little decadent smoking them. I find them to be very elegant. Some are a littler heavier, due to the silverwork, so if you are weight-sensitive, check that spec. Some folks say they have fitment issues in cooler weather. My two (James Upshall & Ferndown) are quite snug.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I have just one, the Peterson in the picture below, and it is one of my better smoking pipes.

The stem (ending with the narrower silver part) detaches like a normal flock stem and is very useful to take off humidity while smoking.

I don't know if they are special, but they have an elegant and gorgeous look.
HMNTVwc.jpg

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Its really just the fitting between the bowl and stem. It doesnt serve any added purpose, simply a different design. That being said, I do love the way they look.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Except for the metal end of the stem, isn't a spigot just an army-type mount?

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
Also, does this sort of stem have the possibility of loosening up over time to the point where I'll have to be careful holding it up?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A spigot has a metal fitment attached to both the stem and the shank. In a full spigot type, the metal wraps around the end of the shank so that it covers the mortise wall. This gives a metal to metal fit when the metal covered tenon is inserted into the metal covered mortise. I've found this to be an extremely reliable fit.
A military mount doesn't cover the mortise walls. Nor, as a rule, is the stem fitted with a metal fitment. So the fit with a military mount is wood against vulcanite. The fit is somewhat reliable, though not nearly as much as a spigot in my experience. While I like my military mount pipes, I NEVER clench them. I always hold the pipe. Too much of an opportunity for the fit to loosen and the bowl to hit the pavement.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
It's a nicely tapered fit and yes it separates at the red circle in your picture. I give it a good firm push to set the stem and never had issues with them getting loose or coming off when I'm clenching her.
But again, the quality of the NEW Petersons (1990 and present) is NOT what it used to be. If you are not opposed to buying a estate (used) pipe that already has been broken in (a huge plus IMO) I highly suggest going that route. Plus

you can get a great estate spigot Peterson for 100-150 bucks...and limit the chances of getting a brand new pipe with poor drilling, foul tasting dip-stained interior, doubled or botched stampings and poor stem fits.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
Are the new Petersons THAT big of a problem that I will have to get an estate? I cannot really find estates of the shape and finish I want

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My two, metal stem spigots are metal clad and tapered, so they should have a lifetime snug fit.
There are a number of beautiful examples at this thread:(member "numbersix" is the spigot king!)

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-us-your-spigots

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Are the new Petersons THAT big of a problem that I will have to get an estate? I cannot really find estates of the shape and finish I want
I bought a Peterson 03 spigot earlier this year and it smokes wonderfully.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
I have only two. A GBD (was my father's) and a BBB.
Both are metal clad and tapered . As SS said: "they should have a lifetime snug fit."
I like them a lot and I'm trying to lay my hands on a couple of new ones.
Cheers,
J
BBB-Spigot-5_zpsvskkkpdh.jpg

GBD-Art_zpshwqh3yjm.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
I only have one "spigot" though I have half a dozen army mount pipes.
After owning a few pipes with Silver, I wish it didn't have any, that stuff tarnishes incredibly fast. The only way I've found to slow it down is to give it a thick coating of wax, but that doesn't look very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.