PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Might be worth getting some 100% Latakia and mixing it with something... staright VA or Burley? That or just smoking it straight up.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Consider Odyssey from Pease or maybe Old Ironsides from Dan Tobacco?
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1748/g-l-pease-odyssey
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/414/dan-tobacco-old-ironsides
Latakia is dominant in both these blends.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Abington is all about Latakia. The orientals and vas are just innocent bystanders.
Funny, ...I get a lot of Orientals in Abingdon.........with a few years age on a tin, all three components sing in harmony....like Crosby, Stills, & Nash...... :wink:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've already ordered C&D da Vinci and McConnell's Latakia Flake and awaiting delivery.
I was going to try my luck with P&C My Own Blend, but they are out of Latakia.
Although I like the flavor, if a blend has a lot of Perique and/or Oriental in the mix, after smoking for about 20 minutes I start to get a peppery burn in the back of my sinuses. Does this happen to anyone else or should I just get a lord of the rings pipe and start smoking froufrou cotton candy aro's? :puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I'm think more likely it's the Perique that causes the sinus burn.
I smoke a lot of H&H Ten to Midnight which has Orientals but no Perique. I can smoke it all day without sinus irritation.
If P&C ever stocks up on Latakia, I'm going to tryout my own blend.
Has anyone tried McConnells Latakia Flake? If so, what's your take on the blend?

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Lancer Slices +100
I find that I am sensitive to Perique as well, recently was gifted some 2007 SG Balkan Flake which I think is just Latakia and Virigina, it is much more "Lat Bomb" than Lancer's. With Lancer's I find the VA's pop out more.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Pirate Kake. No Perique, it does have orientals in it, but given it's about 75% latakia...you can barely notice any spice

Status
Not open for further replies.