Spell Checker and Auto Word Fill Are My Worst Enema!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone else see this from yesterday?
1WS9KIw.jpg

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/6/8/8748933/pat-venditte-switch-pitcher-newspaper-headline-amphibious-pitcher

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
:) Only thing that could make this better would be if his name happened to be Kermit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Amazed at how things like this get through so many people in charge before it reaches the public. Reminds me of that story about Asiana Flight 214.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmclgO6w0C0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Ahh yes... another example of how technology is making our lives better! I wonder how many people caught this, compared to how many just kept on reading without a second thought.
I caught the one in the paper right away, but will admit I missed the one placed in the title of this thread until just now. :rofl:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
...how many just kept on reading without a second thought. :crazy:
Orley,
After watching "Jaywalking" on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno thru the yrs, I'm betting there's a whole bunch who did! The "dumbing down of America" agenda is alive & well, and apparently working!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I think it is more an indictment of the copy editor. He/she should be out seeking employment after a screw-up like the above.
Warren,
Sports may be one thing but what really concerns me is that we no longer have a free & independent news media in this country. I don't think they even need or have copy editors at local TV affiliates anymore. The copy is obviously being written by someone way above the affiliate level, even the network level, with an agenda. Watch this clip all the way thru and note these are affiliates from all the networks obviously reading the same exact copy. Just who wrote the copy; who controls the news we are told about and the way we are told? There's more where this came from:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2dJxiDkcjA

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
johnnyreb: We have always had privately owned media with agendas. There is no point in owning a newspaper or TV company unless you can present your biases and support your beliefs. Well, other than profit of course. Newspapers and broadsides have been used since the founding of the country to besmirch politicians and present the news in a "shaded" manner. No such thing as the good old days when it comes to the media. Bill Mauldin presented his cartoons in a manner that skewered the brass hats. Cronkite pushed his agenda. We just have access to more of it in this time and age.
Only self-avowed pundits can escape such charges, they are paid for and happily proclaim their biases. Media reporters can strive all they want to report in an objective manner. Editors understand where their salary comes from, ad sales, and therefore must toe the owners line, at least to some extant if they want to keep their position. Newspaper and TV have cater to their core viewers/readers.
Nothing has really changed. If you can find old reporting from Jefferson's presidential run you will see blatant coloring of the "news". Local political campaigns could be most humorous in reporting.
Lincoln even felt the need to muffle opposing newspapers while leaving those that agreed with his positions to publish as they wished.
Oh! I love your heading! Well done!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Warren, I agree with what you have said historically but believe it goes much further in this day & age when local stations are filling more hours per wk than ever before with news coverage. And at a time when I can get their last newscast anytime I want on the Internet. It seems we are being imprinted & indoctrinated each wk with one agenda and its catch phrases. The last time I checked there were still 6 media conglomerates controlling about 90% of everything we read, watch & listen to. These conglomerates and their various media companies are obviously not in competition with each other. How has it come down to the obvious fact that regardless of network affiliation they are all reading the same copy in their newscasts? You may have noticed in the video some of them can't even read very well; so much for investigative journalism.
I can't wait to turn on a newscast to learn who got kicked off Dancing With The Stars, or American Idol or The Bachelor, or who was The Biggest Loser this wk!

Status
Not open for further replies.