PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
As a relatively new pipe smoker I only have one pipe. I do plan to get another once I get over the holiday wallet drain...In the meantime I want to know if there is a faster way to rest my pipe. My understanding is that the point of resting a pipe is to remove moisture from the combustion process. So I am considering putting my pipe in a food dehydrator which provides a little heat and some airflow...I have also thought about setting my oven to 212 degrees F, which is the boiling point of water but well below the melting point of the vulcanite stem which is 347 degrees F. Has anyone tried this? I don't want to ruin my only pipe, but I also want to smoke more...
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

Thank you Robert.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Buy a cheap cob. You don't need to rush the resting process. However, generation of people smoked the same pipe day in day out.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
With all of these "speed resting" methods you can easily damage your pipe severely. If you are short on funds get an estate pipe or a corn cob. Both of those will smoke exceptionally good and come cheap. If that´s not an option just smoke your pipe more often. Just be sure to keep it clean.

The often recited "old codger" has no idea of the pipe-resting-concept and just keeps on smoking it until no smoke passes the stem anymore. Not what we might understand of proper pipe smoking but it works... :wink:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto tarheel1 & stvalentine. The oven warming thing is very very risky. Upon heating, wood and vulcanite expand at different rates. It could crack a shank. If you feel you must remove more moisture than occurs with an overnight rest, then swab the stem and shank with an alcohol-soaked pipe cleaner. But in the main, tarheel1 & stvalentine's advice (above) is spot on.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Might also consider a meerschaum as they need no rest between bowls.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
As has been said... smoke it.
Run cleaners through it between smokes, leave a dry cleaner in there until you are going to smoke your next bowl. As St. V said, many, many smokers for many, many years smoked 1 pipe. Rest was not a consideration.
Don't overthink it. :wink:

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for saving me from what sounds like a tragic mistake...My favorite thing about pipe smoking is that "don't worry about it" seems to be the most common answer for all questions. I don't really notice much of a difference when I rest my pipe anyways, it does seem to smoke a little drier after a good rest, but I guess I'll just keep with what I've been doing, and get another pipe when I get paid in a couple weeks.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I agree with the cob recommendation, but maybe resting the pipe in the sun might help to dry it out. In the winter place the pipe on a window sill and in the summer place it on a table outside. You get the idea.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Drying down the tobacco before loading will go a long way to having a nice dry chamber at the end of each smoke.
Do not store a pipe cleaner in the airway. It impedes airflow and hence drying inside the stem. (Not needed if you smoke on the dry side, as a cleaner run through will remove most of the moisture.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Find your inner Pipe Acquisition Disorder, even just buying a bag of MM cob seconds. The reward for having too many pipes is you never even consider putting them in the oven. That's my reward for having way, way too many. Mine is not a fishnbanjo, peck, or foggy' pipe rack. There are some real orphans along with some very nice pipes. But being a moderate smoker, they all get all the rest they need. Sometimes I'm delighted to find one I'd sort of forgotten about.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I still don't let mine rest like I should. This is kinda out-there but Ive heard of folks using an aquarium pump to pass air thru the pipe to dry it out. JT Cooke uses some mechanism to dry out resins of his briar before fully completing the carving and blasting. There is a substantial weight difference he states. The write up at this link.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
The thought has crossed my mind to use a food dehydrator after a full cleaning/alcohol soak. The temp stays pretty low so I didn't consider it being an issue. I'm glad this came up or I may have ruined a pipe or two.

Mar 1, 2014
http://www.amazon.com/Lockdown-Silica-Gel-450g-Bag/dp/B004QUKKOG/
I keep two of these in an ammo box with my pipes.

Two pounds of silica gel should suck the moisture out of a whole lot of pipes, and it doesn't stink up the room, and you can bake the packs eventually if they ever get saturated.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Thanks for all the tips fellows. I was always just putting my pipe in the clothes dryer. It was making a lot of noise banging around in there and has a lot of dings on the bowl, but hey, it sure drys out good that way. :)

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
pipestud, you are a silly man!
Well ya know a phone which had been dropped in water and stopped worked can be revived sometimes putting it in a bowl of uncooked rice to dry it out. Also folks used to, and still do some places put uncooked rice in the salt shakers to help them not clump up.
Might be something that could work if you really wanted or needed to I guess. ...just a thought.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ok I'm gonna show you how geeky I can be. Check this out Cosmic! I still have it and started This Thread a year ago. I never put a new battery on it but well, have a look and enjoy! Good for a laugh anyway.
How long to freeze?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cuh2msd2lo

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I have found that leaving my pipe out in the wind (but not extreme temps) definitely works to rapidly dry (or rest) the pipe. But as others said, just buy a cob or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.