PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumpyds8

Lurker
Mar 15, 2012
I realize I will probably get a thousand different answers, but was curious if you could list good examples by tobacco type. Example, 'such and such' is a typical cavendish, or 'such ans such' is a good example of aromatic. Etc

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Check out this link as well (which does appear in one of the threads roth pointed you to): http://web.archive.org/web/20080118032754/http://agingfaq.nocturne.org/touchstones.php
This list is a good place to start. But it isn't perfect. It's a bit outdated (and inaccurate regarding the current Orlik-produced Dunhill line-up), in some categories the out-of-production blends outnumber the ones you can actually find (which isn't all that helpful), and for me there are a couple of glaring omissions. (For example, Presbyterian Mixture absolutely belongs on any short list of oriental blends.) Still, if you were to try even one or two blends from each category, you would get a solid sense of what makes each different type of blend unique.
And you'd have yourself a lot of really good smokes along the way. . . :)
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The sticking point is "good example." There are good examples of lots of blends (and unblended),

but they might not be good to you. If possible, visit a pipe shop. Some independents will even let

you sample a pinch (small bowl full) at no cost. But at least, even through internet, you can try minimal

cost samples, around 4 to 5 bucks, of various tobaccos. The Forums threads on tobaccos are full of

vast numbers of suggestions. Just read around a little, and you'll hear about things you'll want to try.

Then there is the ever-popular sample packs. But don't spend too much, and take your time. Lane's 1Q

seems to be a nearly universally popular blend to keep you content while you try around.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
mso:
I'll just say, though, that the OP wasn't asking for tobaccos he'd like. He was asking about how to learn what the different styles are all about. Some he may not enjoy at all. But it's one thing to base your opinion of a style on some bulk blend found in a dusty corner of a local B&M and quite another to base it on a blend that the majority of pipe smokers agree is a hallmark of the style. I'll even go out on a limb and say that if the person trying that dusty bulk blend thinks it's a better example of the style, then they need to do some serious work on developing a better palate. And I'm talking about a critical palate here, not about mere preference.
I know the mantra here is, "If you like it, smoke it!" But I think the only way to educate your palate is to not be satisfied with just "liking" something. Just because you "like" it doesn't mean it's literally better than another blend. But you'll have a better chance of knowing where you stand in your own assessment of a blend if you have a solid grounding in the hallmark blends of the tobacco world. And, I think, having that grounding will help you better understand why you gravitate towards the blends you like, what they do (or contain) that really resonates with you.
Of course, some people just want to smoke a pipe and not think about it at all. But it sounded to me like the OP wanted to be more engaged/educated than that.
Just my .02.
Bob

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I think we do agree somewhat on where to classify a certain blend. No one is going to classify Penzance as an "aromatic" :rofl:
The bigger issue is what we consider to be the best representative of a given category.
Like, what's the best English ? Or Oriental ? It's even hard to agree on what those categories are. But even in well definted categories, like a Va/Per, some will love Escudo, others Dorchester or Dunbar.
Roth's advice is probably the best.. scour this forum and read up. Smoke what sounds intriguing, form your own opinions and before you know it, you'll be posting your own list.
But for a newbie's sake, here some ideas:

Aromatic: a lot of people (including me) have Lane Limited 1-Q on the shelf. It's a very middle of road, pleases everyone kinda smoke. But there's pretty much any flavor you can think of. I haven't seen a Pumpernickel aromatic, but outside of that, the world's your oyster.

English/Latakia: Black House seems to be popular around many that like that stuff (which does not include me). Also the Frog Morton series, Penzance (which is near impossible to come by).

Virginia: I'm pretty partial to just Lane Limited MV-1000. A regular on my shelf. Or Sunday Picnic.

Virginia / Perique: Escudo tends to be on everyone's list. I also like the aforementioned Dorchester

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
My personal opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
When I started smoking a pipe, I bought a variety of tins. Probably a hundred over the feat year. I would light up a bowl. If, in the first five minutes, I didn't thoroughly enjoy the blend, I traded or gave it away. My theory is this: there are way too many excellent tobaccos to waste even two or three smokes for an alright blend. I knew there were great smokes that blew my socks off immediately. When I found this smokes, I ordered more of it. I went through all types of tobaccos, Va to Lat.
Don't take what the general public days to heart. I can't stand penzance, it is quality stuff, great stuff. But to me it's crap, because I don't like it. It is not a crap tobacco, just tastes like crap to me. From day one. However, when I feat started smoking, I bought probably four pounds f the crap lol.
The only way you et to where you know what you like,
Now to list some tobaccos
Virginia's- dunhill flake is a benchmark, as is FVF.
Oriental/English/balkan/Latakia- Smokers havens blends got it covered
VaPer- escudo, and for lighter spectrum to see what smoothness perique can bring, OGS
I don't smoke burleys or aromatics, so I don't feel comfortable giving names.

Status
Not open for further replies.