PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
I just found this last night. The Alberta Tobacco Tax Act of 2006 states the following:
"For both marked and unmarked tobacco, the (Alberta Tobacco Tax) Act prohibits a consumer from possessing without a permit:
more than 1000 cigarettes,

more than 1000 tobacco sticks,

more than 1000 grams of fine cut tobacco,

cigars that contain more than 1000 grams of tobacco, or

any combination of tobacco containing more than 1000 grams of tobacco.
TRA considers persons who possess more than these quantities without a permit to be retailers. A consumer can apply to TRA for a permit to possess more than the quantities noted above. The application should state the reasons for requiring the excess quantities and the use that will be made of the tobacco."
So unless I'm interperting this legislation improperly (which I may be), I need a permit and special permission from the government to Celler more than 1 Kilogram (2.2 pounds) of pipe tobacco.
Here's the link:

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/tax_rebates/tobacco/tta7.html
Unreal.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
lol Another reason i will never go to canada.
America has problems...but u take nanny government to a whole nother level lolol.
You have my deepest condolences.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
lol...
"I'll take 2.1 pounds of your finest flake my good sir..."

problem.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In the words of Warren Zevon:
It's the kingdom of the spiders

It's the empire of the ants

You need a permit to walk around downtown

You need a license to dance

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
what you willing to pay for me to keep my moth shut.... 3 tins of escudo perhaps, hmmm? delivered every month?
back when i was a trucker i ran in and out of canada all the time and was a ciggy smoker. would pick up several cases of marlbouro menthol on the reservation and stashed em under my bunk. accoreing to canada law i was a smuggler and subject to fine and imprisonment becuse i went in country with that many ciggys. i never had a problem with canada authorities, but ALWAYS got jacked around with by us customs...

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
It's bizarre. I can set up a home brewery/winery and produce um-teen litres of alcohol, but a few quality unopened tins can get me nailed.
"I'm just holding it for a friend man, really..."
Oh well, nothing like a dodgy hobby.

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Marijuana is still illegal in Canada (Except for legit medical reasons). But if it ever does get legalized, it'll probably be taxed less than pipe tobacco.
Lucky Hippies.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Hmmmmm...these posts always make my tobacco stash grow by about a pound and a half. Ridiculous law by the way. I know it's coming here faster than we think. I wonder who put these people in power to make these stupid laws in the first place? Or are they non-elected officials placed in their position by some other idiot voted into their position?

skunk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Potpourri?.....well played.
Outlaw potpourri collector fighting the man. That's awesome.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Guess that puts me in the "Outlaw" category as well. It is really not a problem for 99% of people as who will really know how much you have......very few. The Canadian government is really not going to go after the common man, but rather the people bringing in tobacco and selling it to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.