PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
A few months ago I posted my thoughts on Bob's Chocolate Flake and how I quite enjoyed it. I try to buy all my baccy locally from a pretty killer pipe shop that often times gets very interesting things in stock from their global array of customers and dealers. The other day, a gentleman came into said pipe shop with a very special delivery. It was Bob's Chocolate Flake that he claimed had been aging for 12 yrs in his cellar. I couldn't believe it. I don't know how long ago Bob's was even released, but when they cracked open one of the mason jars, I was sold. It looked like incredibly old tobacco. Very visible crystals of sugar on the surface of the dark virginias, dried oils encased the larger flakes, and it rubbed out like nothing Ive ever dealt with. Needless to say, the taste of the leaf was out of this world. I've never had tobacco this good, and I doubt I ever will again. Mind you, I'm biased towards savory virginias. Has anyone else aged some Bob's and had good results like this? Do share!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Man... right place right time, and 'no' I've not been lucky enough to try Bob's CF with any significant age on it. It sounds good though. I'll have to live vicariously through your experience for now.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have about a pound from 2006, some from 2008 and, best of all, believe it or not, a pound from 2010. Bob's Flake is very different from batch to batch in my experience. The 08 is not nearly as tasty as that from 2010 but, I have high hopes for each batch. I don't turn to it as often as I used to but its there...waiting.
Mike S.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'll agree with Mike. I've got jarred tins from 1997 onward, each gets points for flavor, but there's not a lot of consistancy.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Interesting about the lack of consistency. At first, when I tried Bob's in bulk I was a bit off put by the Lakeland essence of it, but it's slowly become one of my go-to smokes. I love it in my Peterson Kapp Royal 05. Just ordered 10oz of the stuff with intentions of aging it, but that's going to require some serious self control!

Status
Not open for further replies.